Tufts tops men’s track at Div. III NE’s

Men’s track and field traveled to Tufts this weekend to compete in the Div. III New England indoor track and field championships. Out of a field of 24 teams, Williams finished with 106 points, just behind champion Tufts with 118 points and ahead of third-place MIT with 101 points. The second-place finish marks the first time that the Ephs have failed to win the title in five years.

All-American Andrew Arons ’08 flexed his muscles early in the sprints, contributing valuable points to the team. He finished third in the 55, behind returning national champion Eddie Bynum of Salem State. Later in the meet, he took the 200 title with a blazing time of 21.61. He finished the race almost a full second ahead of the nearest competitor. Deividas Seferis ’09 also ran the 200, finishing in third place.

In the 60 hurdles Matt Sullivan ’11 took two points with a seventh place finish. Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 continued to make a name for himself and came up big, sprinting to a 400 win with a time of 50.43 seconds. He raced with a dramatic flair, coming from behind to claim victory in the final meters of the race.

Macklin Chaffee ’09 was the middle distance all-star of the day. Chaffee raced well in the mile, crossing the line in second place. His time of 4.12.55 should earn him a trip to the national championships at Ohio Northern in three weeks. He also came back to take second in the 1000, and anchored the 4×800 relay team which placed second.

The Ephs took the 800 as well, with Edgar Kosgey ’10 winning in a time of 1.55.45. He raced well, taking a commanding lead early on and the other competitors couldn’t catch up. Co-captains Chris Beeler ’08 and Mack Brickley ’08 also contributed points to the team total, coming in fourth in the 600 and 1000, respectively. The 4×400 relay, distance medley relay, and 4x800m relay all took second place.

For field events, Andrew DeSalvo ’08 won the shot put with a toss of 15.41 meters. Sy Schotz ’10 also earned a point for the team, finishing eighth in the pentathlon.