Wrestling upsets SUNY Oneonta

Concluding its final tri-meet of the regular season, wrestling competed against SUNY Oneonta and Wesleyan on Sunday at home. Williams began the meet ranked 27th nationally and faced No. 24 SUNY Oneonta. Wrestling topped Oneonta to begin the meet, but the team fell to Wesleyan 21-18.

The Ephs began the day strong, winning four immediate matches against Oneonta. After co-captain Ethan Cohen ’09 took his first match, Corey Paulish ’11 and Dylan Rittenburg ’10 then defeated their respective opponents by decision. Following the first three wins, Nic Miragliuolo ’08 pinned Morgan Hoven in 3:25. With their strong start the Ephs were up 17-0. Oneonta made a late surge winning four of the remaining six matches, but they could not close the gap. With wins from Doug Washington ’08 and Kyle Ayer ’09 Williams upset Oneonta 24-17.

The Ephs tried to carry their momentum from the first match into their contest against the Cardinals, but Wesleyan edged out Williams 21-18. Cohen started the Ephs off with an inspiring win, beating Dan Bloom for the first time in Cohen’s three year collegiate career. “Ethan’s win over a rival of his who he hadn’t beaten before was a big deal for him,” Nate Shippee ’10 said. “He won in a double overtime match which was very exciting to start us off against Wesleyan.”

Paulish and Rittenburg followed Cohen’s lead. Paulish topped Josh Wildes by decision and Rittenburg pinned Wesleyan’s Kyle Backer McKee in just under five minutes. Williams dropped the next match, but Carl Breitenstein ’10 took his match in the 157 weight class. The Cardinals made a late surge, winning the final four out of five matches and topping the Ephs by three points.

Overall the weekend was surprising for the Ephs. The team understands that they have great potential but cannot get overly confident. “Oneonta was a great win for us but the loss to Wesleyan dampened our spirits,” Shippee said. “It helped us focus coming into New Englands. We realized its not going to be all fun this week.”

After the SUNY Oneonta and Wesleyan tri-meet wrestling moved to a dual-meet record of 11-10. Williams will compete at the New England College Conference Wrestling Association (NECCWA) championships on Feb. 23 and 24 to conclude their dual-meet season.