Women’s squash wins 9th Little Three title

Women’s squash easily beat both the Cardinals and the Jeffs at the Little Three tournament last weekend at Amherst. From the top to the bottom of the lineup, the team did not surrender a single game for a final 9-0 victory against both adversaries. Despite co-captain and No. 2 player Ashley Eyre ’08 out with an injury, the Ephs still claimed their ninth-straight Little Three title.

Williams first faced off against Wesleyan on Saturday and the Cardinals could not take the pressure. Jennifer Coxe ’10, co-captian Catie Warner ’08 and Allison Rottkamp ’08, took out their opponents without granting them a single point in the entire match. Kavitha Mannava ’11, Julia Reiser ’10, Caroline Henry ’10 and Toby Eyre ’10 were also very efficient on court, losing just three points to their respective rivals during their own matches.

After dominating Wesleyan, Williams then took on Amherst. Though the Amherst players proved to be a bit more of a challenge than Wesleyan, they were still unable pull off a win. Every Eph took out her opponent in three games. Sophie Mason ’10 and Katie Friedman ’11 also won their matches in the 10 and 11 spots in three games. Reiser, playing at number eight for the Ephs, triple-bageled her Jeff adversary. Warner and Arianna Kourides ’09 both played impressive matches, each winning 9-1, 9-0, 9-1. The remaining Ephs allowed the Jeffs less then seven points in each contest.

Williams competed in the NESCAC tournament on Feb. 5, topping two conference foes before falling to powerhouse Trinity in the finals. The Ephs began the tournament by easily taking down the Bobcats and the Polar Bears, 9-0. With this strength Williams entered their match against an incredibly dominant Trinity team. Toby Eyre, playing first on the ladder, took her opponent to five games but eventually fell 3-9, 9-5, 9-7, 2-9, 9-6. This impressive effort was the closest the women would come to taking a match from Trinity and the Bantams won 9-0, claiming yet another NESCAC championship.

Williams will next compete at the national tournament at Princeton on Feb. 22.