Women’s ice hockey wins two games

The tide seems to be turning for women’s ice hockey (3-15-2, 1-10-1 in the NESCAC), as the team notched two victories last weekend over Buffalo State (5-11-3). The Ephs topped the Bengals with a season-high scoring win of 6-1 on Sunday following a closer, but nonetheless successful 5-4 win on Saturday.

The Ephs didn’t get off to a particularly early lead in Sunday’s game, as the Bengals were able to match the Ephs first period goal with one of their own. After serving a penalty for having too many players on the ice just over a minute into the game, Catherine Mullen ’09 came back in the middle of the period, netting a goal against Bengal goaltender Kristilynn Reed. Mullen’s goal was assisted by Joey Lye ’09 and Kait O’Brien ’10. However, Buffalo State’s Melissa Jeckovich responded with a power play goal with only 1:02 left in the first period to knot the score at one.

Williams didn’t earn its second goal until after halfway through the second period, when Stephanie Berger ’11, assisted by Tracey Ferriter ’10 and Sam Tarnasky ’09, scored.

Leading 2-1, the Ephs went on a full-fledged offensive attack in the final period of the game. Just 2:33 in, Torrey Taussig ’10 scored an unassisted goal on the Bengals. Five minutes later, once again with the help of a great pass by Lye, Tarnasky netted a goal to extend the Ephs’ lead to three. The Bengals then called a time-out to slow the Ephs momentum, but when the game resumed Allie Morrow ’08 followed up on a shot on goal by O’Brien and netted the team’s fifth goal of the night. A mere 19 seconds later Taussig came back with her second goal of the night, assisted by Morrow and Lye, bringing the score to 6-1. Eph goalie Denise McCulloch ’08 secured the team’s biggest win of the season with a save at the buzzer.

Williams outshot Buffalo State, 50-29.

“We’ve been struggling offensively, so it was really nice to put some pucks in the net,” captain Caralyn Quan ’08 said. “We did a great job crashing the net and putting in rebounds.”

Although a less decisive victory, the Ephs also found success on Saturday night in the first of their two games against the Bengals, winning in overtime 5-4.

The scoreboard got little use in the first period as Tarnasky scored the only goal at the 18:34 mark.

Buffalo tied up the game early in the second period, with Jessica Thieme knocking in a goal at 2:42. Less than a minute later, her teammate Julie Ruszala scored another goal, to put the Bengals up, 2-1.

However, the Ephs soon clawed back, as Mullen tied up the score again at 9:54, off of an assist by Taussig. Williams’ strong defense prevented Buffalo from answering, and with less than five minutes left Ferriter scored to give the Ephs a one-point lead.

About five minutes into the third period the Bengals again tied the score. But Williams continued its scoring pattern and at 12:57. Mallory Green ’09 once again brought the Ephs to a one-point lead with a power play goal, assisted by Tarnasky and Ferriter.

A Bengals goal by Kristen Bozek with less than two minutes left in the third brought the score to 4-4 and the game extended into overtime. Buffalo State called a timeout after about four minutes but couldn’t seem to get a strategy down as less than thirty seconds later Ferriter, assisted by Tarnasky and O’Brien, scored the sudden death goal to give the Ephs the win.

“The weekend felt good, because we were able to keep improving every period, which was our goal,” Quan said. “We knew we could play better than we did in the first game and we came out and did that in the second game.”

The Ephs look to continue their new-found success when they host the Jeffs at 7 p.m. on Friday night.