Senior swimmers finish up careers

Women’s swimming and diving headed to Middlebury last weekend for the Middlebury Invitational. The invitational was the last meet of the season for those swimmers not competing at the upcoming NESCAC championship on Feb. 22. The Ephs finish the regular season with a record of 6-2.

Spanning over Friday and Saturday, the Middlebury Invite marked the end of strong four-year careers for swimmer Nicole Glennon ’08 and diver Dani Johnson ’08. “I’m very proud of the effort of our seniors who finished up their Eph careers,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said. “I’m very happy with the performances of everyone who ended their season today.”

The women started the meet off strong in the few events raced Friday night. There, Annie Fergusson ’08 placed second in the 1000 freestyle in 10:49.24 and Amanda Nicholson ’09 won the 400 IM in a national B-cut time of 4:34.80.

Resuming the next morning, individual events got off to a great start for the Ephs in the 200 freestyle; Ryan McChesney ’11 took second in 1:58.74, with teammates Mary Wilson Molen ’09, Abby Islan ’10 , Tracey Vitchers ’10 and Catie Lee ’09 competing in the event as well. Erin Altenburger ’11, competing in her first meet for Williams, began her Eph career with a win in the 100 backstroke in 1:01.41.

In a strong showing in the 100 breaststroke, Christina Metcalf ’10 and Lisa Cucolo ’10 took first and second in 1:09.12 and 1:09.47, respectively. Nancy McInerney ’11, the only Eph in the 200 butterfly, finished fourth in 2:16.60.

Kristan McIntosh ’09 and Ali Tozier ’09 finished off their season with fifth and eighth place finishes in the 50 freestyle. In the other spring freestyle event, the 100, Altenburger and Nicholson took second and third in 55.08 and 56.19.

Though swimming an off-event, captain Michelle Kurkul ’08 won the 200 backstroke in 2:11.93. In the 200 breaststroke, Islan finished her season strong with a second place and Emily Gray ’09 took sixth in 2:44.29.

The last three events were incredibly strong for the Ephs, beginning with the 500 freestyle in which a trio of sophomores finished in the top eight. Joanna Hoffman ’10 led her classmates with a third place finish in 5:19.05. Sophia Sequeira ’10 took fifth and Vitchers placed eighth. In the 200 IM, the sophomores impressed again as Cucolo won in 2:12.58 and Metcalf took second with a time of 2:15.32. Haley placed fourth in the same event followed by Asher and Sequeira in fifth and sixth, respectively.

In the 3-meter diving event, Julie van Deusen ’08 placed third, Kera McClelland ’10 took sixth, Taylor Stevens ’11 eighth and Dani Johnson ’08 placed 12th. In the 1-meter the women were strong again, with Van Deusen again claiming third and McClelland finishing in seventh.

“Today we saw some good NESCAC tune-up swims and some great end of season swims,” said Kuster.

The Ephs will compete to defend their conference title when they race in the NESCAC tournament at Wesleyan on Feb. 22.