Nordic, alpine skiing place sixth at Dartmouth Carnival

Bolstered by strong finishes in the giant slalom races, skiing earned sixth place in the Dartmouth Carnival over the weekend.

At a hill that has troubled the alpine team in the past, the men and women gave a strong performance at Dartmouth. Led by captain Charles Christianson ’08 and Eric Mann ’09, the men’s team placed fourth in the slalom and second in the giant slalom, just six points out of first. After a tough start this season, Mann came from outside the top seed to win the giant slalom race in a total time of 1:54.23 seconds, nearly half a second ahead of his closest competitor.

“Dartmouth is a very tough hill,” Mann said. “Nothing really separates the competition, you have to want [the win] more than anybody else.”

Both Christianson and Evan Barrett ’08 helped secure the second place result, finishing seventh and 12th, respectively, on the day.

On Saturday, Christianson again led the way, winning his fourth out of eight total races this year. Tavis Moonan ’08 and Alex Dyroff ’10 also helped the Ephs, finishing 15th and 17th respectively, and boosting the team to fourth place.

For the women, Jennah Durham ’09 had a strong result in the giant slalom finishing 8th overall. Emily Porter ’10 finished 25th and Kelly Kirkpatrick ’09 moved up from 53rd to 26th. In the slalom Kirkpatrick also made good moves through the field starting in 66th and finishing inside the top 25 along with Porter and Kelsey Levine ’10.

The nordic team battled the hilly and technical trails of Dartmouth’s Oak Hill race course and finished the weekend with solid results. Alice Nelson ’10 and Kirsten Johnson ’11 led the way for the women in the 5k Freestyle race, placing seventh and 11th, respectively. Fiona Worcester ’09 took 30th place to round out the scoring. In the men’s 10k freestyle, Keith Kantack ’11 placed 24th followed by co-captain Sam Kapala ’09 in 34th and Caleb Lucy ’11 in 36th.

A tight pack of Williams skiers, led by Evan Dethier ’11 in 41st place, scored points for the men’s squad in the 20k classic race. Scotty McClelland ’08 and Kapala came in 44th and 45th.

In the women’s 15k classic race, Johnson continued her consistent season and outsprinted a Colby skier at the finish line to take 12th place. Nelson claimed 31st and Worcester skied a solid race to take 35th place.

At the previous carnival, hosted by the University of Vermont on Feb. 2, Christianson won both the slalom and giant slalom races to lead the team to what would be a season-best fifth place finish.

The Ephs host the EISA circuit at the Williams Carnival this weekend.