Men’s track competes in Valentine Invite

Men’s track and field split up this weekend, with half traveling to Boston University to compete at the Valentine Invitational, and the rest to Wesleyan’s Cardinal Invite. The BU meet featured some of the best competition in New England, as the Ephs tried to qualify for the larger championship meets ahead. The Wesleyan meet, on the other hand, was primarily for individuals who were still trying to meet qualifying standards for the Div. III New England Championships (DIIINE).

The BU meet featured both collegiate and professional athletes in a long day of competition where three Ephs hit NCAA provisional qualifying marks. Andrew Arons ’08 moved up in distance to the 400, running 49.09 seconds, and Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 just missed the qualifying mark with his time of 49.45 – just over the standard by .35 seconds.

After almost 30 seconds in the mile, Mack Chaffee ’09 lost his shoe. Nevertheless, he came through unscathed in an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 4:14.83. Fellow mid-distance runner Chris Beeler ’08 almost qualified provisionally in the 800. Marking only his second race back after dealing with minor injuries earlier this season, Beeler’s time of 1:54.46 was just over the qualifying mark by .06 seconds.

The long distance races featured numerous fast performances as Grant Burgess ’08 and Morgan Seybert ’08 worked with Corey Watts ’10 in the 3000. Burgess was first across the line in 8:39.95 and Seybert and Watts finished within a half second of each other, in 8:43.23 and 8:43.65, respectively. All three qualified for the DIIINE and ECAC championships. Jim Clayton ’08, running late into the night, slipped under the DIIINE qualifying mark of 15:40 with his 5000 time of 15:36.05.

The 4×400 relay team of Arons, Fitzgerald, Matt Desir ’08 and Deividas Seferis ’08 finished under the NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 3:19.7. Their finishing time of 3:17.79 was less than three seconds off the automatic qualifying time of 3:15.1.

The Ephs race again this weekend at Tufts as the men’s team begins to prepare for the post-season.