Men’s swimming competes at Midd.

After soundly defeating Amherst in mid-January, men’s swimming and diving concluded the dual-meet season undefeated with victories over Wesleyan, Tufts, Springfield and Middlebury. Not only did the Ephs remain undefeated, but their winning streak is now up to 15 consecutive victories, with their last loss dating back to Div. I Army last fall. As the beginning of the championship season begins, several individuals concluded their seasons with outstanding swims at the Middlebury Invitational last Saturday.

After the incredible performance of many at the Amherst dual meet, several swimmers continued to drop time at the following meets. In the tri-meet against Wesleyan and Tufts, Norman Scott ’09 raced to an incredible B-cut consideration time of 50.01 in the 100 butterfly.

Chris Millen ’08 also bettered his B-cut consideration time in the 200 butterfly, bringing it down to 1:52.50. Tyler Bonewell ’09, who had an impressive 100 breastroke with a time of 59.32, became the first breaststroker in the NESCAC to break the one minute barrier this season. The Ephs won handily against both teams – 198-99 over Wesleyan and 189-111 over Tufts.

At Springfield, despite the sickness of some members of the team, several swimmers still were able to perform well. Co-captain Ben Bullitt ’08, Jeremy Goldstein ’09 and Michael Daub ’08 all posted solid times in the 1000 freestyle. Scott and Michael Kirwan ’08 swam well in the other distance event, the 500 freestyle, with both racing to times of 4:49. Williams won the meet with a convincing 192-106 victory.

Finally, in the last home meet of the season, the Ephs capped off their undefeated season and congratulated their seniors with a dominating 208-86 victory over Middlebury on Feb. 2. Gary Roberson ’11 stole the day with incredible performances in the distance events. He took the 1650 freestyle with a time of 16:14.85 and the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:42. Millen also swam to a B-cut consideration time of 1:41.22 in the 200 freestyle.

Other notable swims came from Alex Wentworth-Ping ’08 who earned a B-cut consideration time in the 100 butterfly and Thatcher Heumann ’09, who raced to an impressive 4:14.95 in the 400 IM.

The day marked not only an end to the dual-meet season, but the last dual-meet for several important seniors. Among them were Bullitt, Co-captain Matt Neuber ’08, Henry Felker ’08, Jeremy Doernberger ’08, Daub, Millen, Henry Burton ’08, Eugene Korunskiy ’08, Dan Meyer ’08 and Wentworth-Ping.

“I am always proud of the fact that we graduate so many committed seniors every year,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said. “This was a great win for the seniors’ final home meet.”

Last weekend at the Middlebury Invitational several of the Ephs concluded their seasons with fantastic tapered swims. Doernberger, Burton and Korunskiy each ended their Williams careers with best times in their events. Austin Stanley ’10, Henry Blackford ’10 and Justin Marsh ’11 all finished with best times in the 200 freestyle. Norman Scott ’09, who does not normally swim the 200 IM, raced to national B-cut consideration time of 1:54.85, now the top time in the NESCAC for that event.

The men look to defend their NESCAC title against Middlebury on Feb. 29.