Little Three title earned by Men’s squash

Continuing its challenging schedule against some of the top competitors in the nation, men’s squash played impressive back-to-back weekends to claim both the Little Three title and second place in the NESCAC tournament.

Most recently, the men faced Amherst and Wesleyan and soundly swept 18 matches to claim their ninth consecutive Little Three championship. Seeded third in the NESCAC championships with a 4-2 record against conference opponents, the men battled their way to the finals before falling to national powerhouse and defending champion Trinity on Feb. 3.

After a 7-2 victory over Tufts in its first match of the NESCAC tournament, Williams then squared off against Bates in the semifinals. Having lost their regular season matchup to the Bobcats, 5-4, it was an opportunity for the Ephs to avenge their defeat. A 7-2 win over Bates gave the team a spot to compete in the NESCAC finals against Trinity.

The Ephs lost to the Bantams on Dec. 1 of the regular season, 8-1, with only Christian Henze ’10 nabbing a win in the number nine slot. Morgan Phillips ’08 was able to take the first set of his match against Supreet Singh at the number six spot, but Singh took the final three sets.

The Bantams, who have not lost a match in 165 games, swept the rest of the matches to defeat the Ephs, 9-0. Nonetheless, the men’s solid performance earned them second at the NESCAC championships for the second consecutive season.

A slew of dual matches warmed the squad up for these two big weekends. The Ephs had three big wins that provided some much needed momentum for the ensuing tournaments. The men defeated Cornell in a tight 5-4 decision, and cruised past Hobart and Middlebury with 8-1 and 9-0 scores, respectively.

Williams will compete at the national championships held at Harvard this weekend.