Women’s squash easily defeats 3 Maine NESCAC opponents

Women’s squash racked up three more victories last weekend against its Maine conference rivals. Williams defeated Bowdoin, Colby and Bates in three easy victories.

The Ephs started off the weekend strong, beating the Polar Bears 7-2 on Friday. Toby Eyre ’10, Catie Warner ’08, Claire Hsu ’09 and Kavitha Mannava ’11 all played strong matches, allowing their opponents just five points or less. Hsu – who recently returned to the team after studying abroad – crushed Bowdoin’s Sarah Podmaniczky in three shutout games, 9-0, 9-0, 9-0.

The Ephs then faced the Mules, overpowering them 9-0. Toby Eyre led the Ephs in the number one spot, defeating her opponent 9-2, 9-1, 9-2. Warner only allowed Colby’s Maddie DuFour two points, quickly finishing the match in three games. Number six Allison Rottkamp ’08 also gave up just two points to Catherine Monrad in their last game.

After the solid win against Colby, the team headed to Lewiston to play Bates on Saturday, where they finished the weekend undefeated with an 8-1 victory. Toby Eyre, Ashley Eyre ’08, Warner, Caroline Henry ’10, Hsu and Mannava all quickly took out their opponents in three games. After falling in her first game, 9-4, against Charlotte Gerrish, Jennifer Coxe ’10 came back to win her last three games 9-6, 9-3, 9-6.

“The Maine matches were a good start to the important part of our season coming up,” Ashley Eyre said. “We are looking forward to our match against UPenn this weekend and, more importantly, our upcoming matches against Dartmouth, Cornell and Brown.”

Head Coach Zafi Levy was also impressed with how his team played. “This is one of the best teams we have had in years,” Levi said. “Our bottom of the line-up is very young and inexperienced and has much room for improvement.”

Women’s squash hopes that the momentum from the successful matches last weekend will carry them into the four Ivy tournaments and the challenging schedule they have ahead.

The women face UPenn on Jan. 16.