Ephs wrestle to victory

Winning three of four matches on Saturday, wrestling advanced its dual meet record to 5-3 for the season. Williams hosted the meet against teams from WPI, University of Southern Maine (USM), MIT and Trinity. The men dominated most of the competition, but were edged out by USM, 19-16.

The Ephs began with an easy 39-6 win over WPI. Williams controlled the contest, taking all but two matches. In the 149-lb. weight class, co-captain Nic Miragliuolo ’08 easily beat his opponent 16-1. Doug Washington ’08 pinned WPI’s Dave Cardenas in just over two minutes in the 165-lb. class. Nate Shippee ’10 and Kyle Ayer ’09 also pinned their opponents at 184 and 197, respectively.

After trouncing WPI, Williams struggled early against USM. Co-captain Ethan Cohen ’09 started the Ephs off with a win in the 125-lb. weight class, beating his opponent in a 10-2 decision. USM fought back and took the 133, 141 and 149-lb. weight classes, putting them in good position to take the match. Carl Breitenstein ’10 turned the Ephs around, beating USM’s Mark Moyer in a 5-2 decision. USM topped the next two Ephs, but Shippee, Ayer and Jim Bierman ’08 took the final three matches to put Williams within three. Despite winning the final three matches, USM topped Williams 19-16.

Later that day, Williams beat MIT 38-18, gaining four matches by forfeits. MIT’s competing wrestlers challenged Williams. MIT pinned three Williams’ wrestlers, but the Ephs still came out on top. In their final match on Saturday the Ephs trounced the Bantams 46-4. Williams only dropped one match against Trinity, pinning three Bantams.

Williams entered the Williams Duals coming off of two losses on Jan. 4 and 8.

The Ephs travel to Bridgewater State today.