Ephs 3rd in Director’s Cup after fall

For the past nine years, Williams has won the U.S. Sports Academy Director’s Cup, awarded to the most successful collegiate athletic program in each division. After one season of competition, Williams is currently ranked third. Washington University in St. Louis leads with 322 points, followed by Amherst in second with 291, with Williams close behind a 286.

Eighteen sports – nine men’s and nine women’s – are included in the tally to determine the Director’s Cup. Team scores are based on national standings at the end of the respective seasons.

Williams has dominated its competition for 11 of the 12 years that the Director’s Cup has been awarded in NCAA Div. III. The College failed to secure the title only once, in 1998, when the Ephs tied with Middlebury for fourth place.

Though some Eph fans may be concerned about this fall from the top spot after so many years of dominance, Dick Quinn, director of sports information, said there’s no need to worry – at least not yet.

“[The] Ephs were sixth after the fall last year and actually trailed Middlebury by 91 points late in the spring in 2007, but rallied to win again,” Quinn said. Williams placed sixth in the fall 2005 standings as well, but nonetheless secured the win.

Director of Athletics, Harry Sheehy also expressed little concern about the current rankings. “I don’t pay attention to where we stand in the Director’s Cup, and I don’t think it’s anything to lose sleep over,” Sheehy said.

Williams has consistently had a strong showing during the winter season. This year, men’s an women’s track and field, basketball wrestling and swimming will likely be competitive at a national level. “The majority of our [winter and spring] teams are strong enough to participate in the NESCAC tournament and earn a bid to the NCAA tournament,” Sheehy said.

Though Ephs have traditionally had strong winter seasons, Quinn refrained from making a prediction about Williams’ chances of victory. “The only prediction I ever make about Williams athletics is that the Ephs will compete to the best of their abilities and will represent the College well,” he said. “It never ceases to amaze me how hard the athletes work in and out of the classroom.”