Bobcats upset men’s squash

It was a NESCAC weekend for men’s squash as the team headed north to battle three conference opponents in two days. An upset-minded Bates squad stunned the Williams men’s squash team in a narrow 5-4 defeat this past Saturday in Maine after the men crushed both Bowdoin and Colby, 9-0.

The fifth-ranked Ephs were not prepared for the resistance that the Bobcats, ranked 12th, put up. Bates’ top three players trounced their Williams counterparts. While Williams’ Jon Barry ’08 and Tony Maruca ’08 fell in three games at the number one and three spots, Ethan Buchsbaum ’10 managed to grab one game before falling in four. Morgan Phillips ’08 held out to win a five-game marathon at the fifth spot, but his victory was in vain as Williams ultimately fell to their conference rival.

The previous day, the Ephs appeared dominant against their other conference opponents Bowdoin and Colby, defeating both teams 9-0. Bowdoin, ranked 13th in the nation, fell in straight games at the one through three and six through nine spots. The middle of the lineup proved slightly tougher for Williams to put away. At the four spot, George Miller ’09 lost the first game before coming from behind to claim the last three. Miller put together an impressive 9-0 showing in the final game to defeat his opponent. At the five spot, Phillips also fell in the first game before bouncing back to maintain the shutout victory for Williams.

The Ephs were equally impressive against Colby, as Williams’ top five players cruised to three-game victories. Although the players in the bottom half of the ladder were not as overpowering, they tallied wins nonetheless to start the weekend off in winning fashion.

The weekend before Williams headed to the Snowflake Invitational held at Dartmouth, and played promising squash against some of the top players in the nation. Maruca was runner-up to his own teammate, Barry, in the 5.5 skill level draw. Barry had defeated his teammate as well, beating Buchsbaum to advance to the finals in his level draw. Miller decisively beat Dartmouth number four Mike Lewis in the finals of the 5.0 skill level draw. Phillips played five matches in a 24-hour period, and still managed to grab the finals of the 5.0 consolation draw. The rest of the Ephs performed respectably, and the team was content with their play.