Wrestling places 3rd at Invite

With Eph wrestlers in six different weight classes on Saturday, wrestling placed third out of a field of 14 at the RIT Invitational. Williams scored 96 points behind Rhode Island College’s 121.5 and Wilkes’ 117 points. This was yet another strong showing for the Ephs, who opened their season with a fourth place finish out of 18 teams at the Springfield Doug Parker Tournament on Nov. 18.

Without wrestlers in two crucial weight classes, Williams still pulled off a great finish at Saturday’s tournament, and the team was proud of its accomplishment. “We wrestled very well,” co-captain Nic Miragliuolo ’08 said. “We placed ahead of a few nationally ranked [teams] even though we entered the tournament without a 133 or 197 [lb. wrestler].”

The underclassmen made large contributions to the team’s success on Saturday. Carl Breitenstein ’10, Dylan Rittenburg ’10, Nate Shippee ’10, Drew Gatewood ’10 and Tim Kiely ’11 all placed fifth or better in their respective weight class. Ethan Cohen ’09 also took a fifth place finish in the 125-lb. weight class.

Breitenstein finished second in the 157-lb. weight class. Breitenstein beat a top-seeded and nationally ranked opponent, but when he advanced to the finals he fell to Mike Martini of Rhode Island College, 4-1. Breitenstein’s strong finish was supported by Rittenburg’s fourth place finish (141-lb.) and Shippee’s fourth place in the 184-lb. weight class. Cohen went 4-2 on the day and pinned three of his six opponents to claim fifth. Kiely and Gatewood also placed fifth in the 285 and 184-lb. weight classes, respectively.

With so much success, the team feels that it can count on every weight class to score. “This is the deepest team we’ve had in years,” Miragliuolo said. “Every weight class is scoring for us, from 125 through heavyweight.”

Despite injuries and absences due to football, Williams started out the season on good footing just a few weeks ago, placing fourth at the Springfield Doug Parker Tournament. Cohen placed third at 125, while Miragliuolo reached the finals by pinning the then No. 5 ranked wrestler in the country in the 149 weight class. Rittenburg, Breitenstein and Kyle Ayer ’09 also had strong showings at the tournament.

With two impressive starts under its belt, wrestling is still eager to improve, knowing that the team has not yet reached its full potential. “No one on our team has won an individual title yet,” Miragliuolo said. “We have yet to wrestle to our fullest potential, or even with a full lineup.”

Wrestling will face Norwich at home tonight at 7:30 p.m.