Women’s swimming splits meets

Women’s swimming and diving fell to Boston College, 162-138, on Sunday, just hours after competing at the Nutmeg Invitational at Yale on Saturday. Sunday’s loss brought the team to 1-1 in dual meets: the team had opened the season with a victory over Conn. College.

The women’s weekend began with the Nutmeg Invitational in the late evening on Saturday. Though no scores were kept, there were still some impressive swims all around. After the meet ended, the Ephs got on the bus again for a meet against Boston College the following day.

Though in less-than-ideal conditions, the women’s squad showed perseverance and battled with the Eagles from the very beginning of the meet. Many Ephs did not have a proper warm-up before their races and were forced to use alternative methods such as stretching or push-ups in order prepare for their races. Nevertheless, they remained mentally tough and determined to have a strong showing against a solid Div. I program.

Beginning the meet was the 200 medley relay team of Amanda Nicholson ’09, Lisa Cuculo ’10, Nancy McInerney ’11 and Sophia Sequiera ’10, who won the event with a time of 1:52.76. This was followed by a 1-2-3 finish in the 1000 freestyle led by Mary Wilson Molen ’09. Things started to slip away after that, as the Eagles won several events in a row, capped off by a 1-2-3 finish in the 50 freestyle. Nicholson, Christina Metcalf ’10 and Ramsey tried to bring the Ephs back into the mix with wins in the 200 backstroke, 200 breaststroke and 500 freestyle, respectively, but the Eagles had dominated the early events, putting the Ephs out of luck.

This loss was the first of the season for Williams. The women began their season with a dominating 186-100 victory, in which they won every event, over NESCAC foe Conn. College on Nov. 18.

The most recent result against BC did not turn out nearly as well as the opening meet against Conn. College, but the team will be training hard through the Christmas season. It now looks to its upcoming training trip to Fort Lauderdale before Christmas as the biggest opportunity for improvement before its next dual-meet in January against Union at home.