Women’s squash falls

After demolishing Mount Holyoke 9-0 at home on Friday evening, women’s squash (2-4) did not fair so well the rest of the weekend. Williams faced Trinity and Princeton, two of the strongest teams in the country, and fell in both matches, 9-0.

“We knew going into the weekend that both Trinity and Princeton were going to be tough opponents, but everyone went in and played really hard,” co-captain Catie Warner ’08 said. “I definitely think that everyone learned from their matches and that this season is going to keep getting better.”

The Ephs first faced-off against the Bantams at Trinity. Toby Eyre ’10 and Arianna Kourides ’09 played particularly well against their Bantam opponents. Eyre played Trinity’s Lauren Polonich at the No. 1 position and although Eyre won the second game against Polonich 9-0, she lost the match in four games. Kourides played a strong third game of her match against Trinity’s Emily Paton, tying the game at 8-8. Kourides eventually fell and the match went to the Bantams.

After a tough defeat, Williams traveled to New Jersey for a Sunday match against last year’s national-champions Princeton Tigers. Jennifer Coxe ’10 shined in her match against Princeton’s Emery Maine at the No. 3 spot on the ladder. While she initially lost the first two games, she won the third before being defeated in the fourth. The match at the No. 1 position oscillated between Eyre and Princeton’s Amanda Seibert. Eyre took the first and third games, 9-0 and 9-4, but Seibert claimed the second, fourth and fifth games for the victory.

“Despite the lopsided scores, we had several great performances today against Princeton,” Assistant Coach Blair Dils said. “In particular, Catie Warner, Jennifer Coxe and Toby Eyre all played high-level squash.”

Before facing Princeton and Trinity, women’s squash overwhelmed the Mount Holyoke squad, dominating them 9-0. Mount Holyoke could not compete with the strong Williams team with nine of the 10 competing Ephs taking their matches in three games.