Women’s ice hockey struggles

Women’s ice hockey (1-5) continued to struggle last weekend, dropping games to both Conn. College and Amherst. In Saturday’s contest against the Jeffs, the women suffered a humbling 7-0 loss. Amherst (4-0-2) put 38 shots on goal in the rout.

Kate Schwed ’09 started in goal for the Ephs and allowed the Jeffs only one goal in the first period. Schewd made 11 saves in the first period, keeping the Ephs within striking distance. Amherst’s three penalties in the first 20 minutes gave Williams several opportunities to score, but the Ephs were unable to capitalize on their power plays.

The Jeffs continued to put pressure on the Ephs’ goal throughout the game, scoring three goals in both the second and third periods. Amherst outshot Williams 38-18, but provided the Ephs with scoring opportunities by committing six penalties. The team’s loss to Amherst marks the fifth of the season and the second in a row.

Head Coach Shannon Bryant is not happy with her team’s progress thus far, but has a confident outlook for the rest of the winter. “Moving on from this, my goal is for us to play smart hockey, compete and be disciplined,” Bryant said. “We need to do all three things in order to be successful.”

On Friday night, Williams started out strong against Conn. College, scoring in the first period to take a 1-0 lead. Lauren Zurek ’11 put the puck in the back of the net off of an assist from Stephanie Berger ’11. Despite outshooting the Ephs 15-6 in the first period, the Camels entered the break down by one.

Later in the second period, the Camels tied the game at 1-1. Williams responded just minutes later with a power play goal from Tracey Ferriter ’10. The Ephs were unable to maintain their lead, however, conceding two goals late in the third period. The final score of the game occurred in the last minute of play as the Camels put in an open net goal to claim a 4-2 victory.

Penalties played a major role in the game’s outcome, as the Ephs racked up 10 penalties to the Camels’ two. The Williams defense held strong but 10 Camel power plays proved too much for the team to overcome. “That was the difference in the game,” Bryant said. “We didn’t play disciplined hockey today and that showed on the scoreboard.”

Williams started out their season with a series of challenging conference games. On Nov. 24 the women fell to Hamilton, 2-1, in a fairly evenly matched contest. The Ephs’ struggle with penalties again proved to be the deciding factor. On Nov. 30 Williams picked up its lone victory of the season with a 4-3 win over Wesleyan.

“We’re a young team with a lot to learn,” Caralyn Quan ’08 said. “We didn’t get the results we wanted this weekend but that is only going to make us work harder. We have a lot of talent and a lot of heart and that gives us a lot of potential for the rest of the season. We’re looking forward to some time off to regroup and refocus so we can come out strong in January.”

The Ephs do not play again until Jan. 4, when they face off against Manhattanville College at St. Anselm’s.