Style pop quiz: Ifiok Inyang ’11

Ifiok Inyang ’11 was found getting a late breakfast at Snack Bar.

So tell me about what you are wearing right now.

I’m rockin’ a Goff’s Williams raincoat, a Georgetown t-shirt, my Williams football team issued sweatpants and navy blue and light blue Nike prestige shoes.

Do you like wearing your football clothes?

Yeah, they are comfortable.

Would you say you spend more money on clothes or shoes?

Shoes.

What types of shoes do you own?

Primarily Nikes, and a pair of Reeboks. And then formal shoes.

What are your impressions of fashion here on campus?

I noticed a lot of what people wear is Williams-oriented. You know, Williams gear. Most people wear jeans and a sweatshirt. People tend to get more dressed up as the weather gets colder. Out of nowhere they will get dressed up for class randomly.

Do you think any of your professors have good style?

I would say Professor Chandler – he’s got that I’m-retired-but-I’m-still-made-of-money look going. He can pull off a scarf or a nice coat. He looks professional but relaxed at the same time.

What would you wear if you were trying to impress a girl?

I would wear a nice pair of jeans and a polo. I might throw on a quarter-zip sweater if it’s chilly.

Are there any countries you would like to visit because of their style?

I’m Nigerian; I will actually be visiting there over Christmas break. I like the style there because it is cool and tradition plays a big role. It has a lot to do with colors. They wear matching two- or three-color schemes. I was raised in that tradition, so I appreciate matching.

Do you ever look back at pictures of yourself and think – ‘what was I wearing?!’

Yeah, I do. Especially when I was younger. But then you realize that what you were wearing was what was good at the time, what was in. It’s like a snapshot. It makes the picture more relevant to its own time.

Do you think the way you look has a big impact on how people treat you?

Yeah, I think it has a huge impact. Depending on what a person is wearing is how people make their first impressions. If you dress really formal they will see you in a different light than if you were wearing a t-shirt and jeans.