Princeton, Trinity top men’s squash

Men’s squash (2-3) faced its toughest competition of the year over the weekend, battling perennial powerhouses Princeton and Trinity. On Sunday Williams fell to Princeton, 9-0, and to Trinity, 8-1.

Christian Henze ’10 notched the lone win in Trinity’s 168th consecutive win. Henze, at the ninth spot, fell behind by two sets before taking the final three games for a victory. Bernard Yaros ’09 took his match the distance and battled for two hours against the Tigers’ Phillip Sopher. After just barely losing the first set, 9-7, Yaros crept back into contention with two straight set wins, but he eventually fell in the final two sets.

“I am very proud of the team,” Head Coach Zafi Levy said. “I thought we showed lots of potential against Trinity and Princeton, as both are the top squash programs in the nation.”

Earlier in the week Williams sailed by Navy, 6-3. Although the Ephs’ top three players in the ladder lost, the bottom of the lineup swept the Midshipmen to clinch the victory.

In their second match of the season, Williams was certainly an underdog against Harvard, having not defeated the Crimson since 1953. Having taken two of the first three matches it appeared as though Williams could upset the competition. But Harvard stormed from behind to take the match, 6-3. The three Eph victories came at the sixth, eighth, and ninth positions. Will Gruner ’11 defeated his opponent 9-5, 9-6, 9-0 in the sixth spot, while Cameron Henry ’09 notched a 9-1, 9-1, 9-2 victory at the eighth spot. Henze won a well-deserved match in the ninth position after battling against Harvard’s Shawn Lowe in a five set come-from behind victory. After losing the first two sets 9-7 and 9-2, Henze delivered two shutout sets before taking the final set, 9-3.

In the opening match of the season Williams defeated Tufts soundly, 8-1. Despite showing some early first match nerves, the Ephs kept their composure to secure their first win of the year.

Williams will travel to Yale tomorrow for their final match of the calendar year.