Men’s swimming beats BC

After competing in the Nutmeg Invitational at Yale University on Saturday, men’s swimming and diving (2-0) remained undefeated by downing Boston College by a score of 181-115 the following day in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Though not scored, there were many impressive swims at the Nutmeg Invitational that started a good trend that continued throughout the weekend. Leading the way was Chris Millen ’08, who won the 400 IM event with a time of 4:05.29. Norman Scott ’09 took third place in two events, the 200 freestyle and the 100 backstroke. Other notable performances came from co-captain Ben Bullitt ’08 and Thatcher Huemann ’09 in the 400 IM and 200 freestyle.

Early the next morning, the men competed in another meet against Boston College. The beginning of the meet saw some close races that elevated both the crowd and the teams from their seats. The 400 medley relay team of Norman Scott ’09, Henry Felker ’08, Alex Wentworth-Ping ’08 and Ben Wampler ’08 narrowly held off the Eagles to win the first race of the day. Following this was a very tight battle in the 1000 freestyle between Eph Gary Roberson ’11 and John Maloy of the Eagles. Maloy barely held off Roberson in the end for the victory.

From that point on, the meet was very one-sided and the victories were few and far between for the Eagles. Millen won the 200 freestyle and the 200 IM; Bullitt took the 100 backstroke; Scott took the 200 fly and the 100 freestyle while Felker and Tyler Bonewell ’09, took 1-2 in both breaststroke events. The meet ended with an incredible come-from-behind victory in the 200 freestyle relay, in which Ben Wampler ’11 split a 21.04 to touch out an opposing BC swimmer by 0.03 seconds.

This victory was the second of two dominating dual meet victories to open the season, the first coming two weeks earlier against Conn. College. Similar to the meet against BC, the Ephs dominated from the very beginning and showed no signs of letting up. The A relay of Worth Macdonald ’11, Bonewell, Scott and Wampler just barely touched out the B squad of Bullitt, Felker, Wentworth-Ping and Matt Neuber ’08 with final times of 3:33.09 and 3:33.41 respectively. Michael Kirwan ’08 with a final time of 1:47.39 took first in the 200 freestyle to lead David Lebovitz and Heumann to another demoralizing 1-2-3 victory. The trend of 1-2-3 victories was continued throughout the rest of the meet. By the 200 fly, the meet was a foregone conclusion ending in a 184-90 victory for the Ephs.

Williams two dominating wins prove that despite significant losses from last year, the men are still a swimming powerhouse. After its training trip to Fort Lauderdale over winter break, men’s swimming and diving will face Union and then Amherst.