Dodd neighborhood residents vote

Dodd quad residents will no longer need to trek to the Snack Bar for their morning bagel or caffeine fix, as Dodd dining hall plans to reintroduce its weekday breakfast option. Starting Jan. 31, 2008, the dining hall will offer continental breakfast five days a week in lieu of its Friday and Saturday night dinners, a move spearheaded by the Dodd neighborhood governance board (NGB).

After hearing from several students that they desired a breakfast option at Dodd, neighborhood President Peter Nurnberg ’09 created a survey to gauge residents’ dining preferences. Over half of Dodd’s residents participated in the survey, which revealed that most students rarely attended Friday and Saturday night dinners and were willing to give those up in return for weekday breakfasts. Seeing these results, Dodd NGB started working with Dining Services to explore the feasible changes.

Dodd will be open for breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., the same as other dining halls’ breakfast hours; and the menu will include cold cereal, fruit, pastries, toast and bagels. Since the continental breakfast requires significantly less preparation than that of a full hot breakfast, the College will be able to provide five such breakfasts for only two dinners on the same budget, said Bob Volpi, director of Dining Services.

The breakfast addition will require movement of staff within Dining Services, a change that will affect all staff members, Volpi said. “We are trying to reflect preferences of the staff in terms of days off and family time,” he said.

Dodd dining hall eliminated its weekday breakfast and lunch options last February to free up resources for Whitmans’, the Snack Bar and the ’82 Grill in the Paresky Center. Attendance at Dodd had been consistently lower than at other dining halls, and it received on average 36 students a day for breakfast.

Chris Abayasinghe, assistant director of student dining, envisions Dodd breakfast as becoming a “quick breakfast” option and hopes it will take pressure off the Snack Bar and the Eco Café.

According to Nurnberg, the board’s future plans include improving kitchen infrastructure in residences and adding appliances, such as microwaves, in houses lacking kitchens.