Campaign leader leaves for Amherst

Megan Morey, director of leadership giving, left the College last Friday to take on a position at Amherst as chief advancement officer.

For the past seven years, Morey has been part of the College’s development program, which includes areas such as annual giving, planned giving and reunion planning. Each of these units is headed by an individual director with support from donor relations and research. As director of leadership giving, Morey has worked with alumni and parents who contribute larger gifts outside of the smaller, unrestricted alumni fund gifts. These funds have been used to increase the endowment and provide support for capital projects and restricted programs.

Morey has been intimately involved in the success of the Williams Campaign, which will officially end in December 2008. Since 2003, the Campaign has surpassed its initial goal of $400 million by raising approximately $417 million. Funds raised will go towards the three on-campus building projects, curricular initiatives, faculty recruiting and enhancing student life and tuition affordability. According to an Amherst press release, Morey has been personally responsible for raising $20 million.

“The opportunity to provide substantive and sound case for supporting Williams … has made the campaign a real success to date,” Morey said.

Reflecting on her tenure at the College, Morey is particularly proud of her accomplishment in creating connections between volunteers, staff and administrators to allow greater, more diverse participation. “[My] most significant accomplishment was working with my colleagues … and the campaign volunteers to design and execute programs that allowed a wide range of alumni and parents to be engaged and participate in the Campaign whether by showing up at an event, volunteering or making a gift,” Morey said.

Moving onto Amherst is the next step for Morey, where she will serve an even more prominent role as chief advancement officer (CAO). As CAO, Morey will be a member of the senior staff of the college, similar to the position of the vice president for alumni relations and development at Williams. Morey will be responsible for the entire alumni relations and development program.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge of learning and adapting to a new culture and to lead the advancement program at Amherst to make their ambitious campaign as successful as Williams’ has been,” Morey said. “It is an exciting opportunity . . . to carry out a campaign plan, that at the end of it, will make Amherst even stronger and better for future students just as Williams is doing now.”

Stephen Birrell, vice president for alumni relations and development, said Morey will be missed in the alumni office. “She headed up a critical part of our campaign, dealing with the largest and most important donors,” Birrell said. “She’s a very skillful and experienced development professional. Her contributions were extraordinary.”

Pamela Briggs Besnard ’84 will serve as the acting director of leadership giving while a search is conducted for Morey’s replacement.