Women’s squash set to impress opponents

With new practices, new players and an additional coach, the women’s squash team has jumped off to a strong start this winter.

After losing to Dartmouth last year in regular season play, Williams defeated the team 5-4 in the final match of the year, placing the Ephs sixth in the country.

After losing losing co-captain Kate Whipple ’07 and Ridhima Raina ’07 to graduation last year, the Ephs will have a few holes to fill in their roster. The team will also be missing Claire Hsu ’09, who is currently in China studying abroad for the semester.

Despite these losses the team is confident in its newcomers. Sophie Mason ’10, Kavitha Mannava ’11 and Kathryn Friedman ’11 will all compete for spots on the ladder.

In addition to new players, the team now also includes another coach. This season, women’s tennis Head Coach Alison Swain, is helping the team reach its peak fitness level. “We are really excited that Alison has joined the team as our fitness coach and is helping us stay focused and fit,” said co-captain Ashley Eyre ’08.

So far the addition has paid off. “We’re putting in a lot of effort into every single practice and the training program this year is a lot stronger,” Eyre said.

The Ephs will play their first three matches at home this weekend. On Saturday at 2 p.m. Williams will face off against Stanford. Following that match Williams will compete against Tufts at 5 p.m. The women will then play against Harvard on Sunday at 5 p.m.

“I’m definitely looking forward to playing both Stanford, who has gotten a lot better this year, and Dartmouth, who we had a great win against last year,” co-captain Catie Warner ’08 said.