Men’s squash aims high

Men’s squash is returning to the courts this winter after last season’s impressive finale. In February 2007, the Ephs finished the year with a No. 6 national ranking after defeating Western Ontario in an intense battle in the A-division at the national championships. The win signified the first time Williams has ever won a match in the top division draw. The Ephs also dominated in Little Three competition and finished second in the NESCAC championships.

Head Coach Zafi Levy returns to the helm of the men’s squash program for another season, and has high hopes for this year. “After a record season last year, we expect another strong performance from our squash players,” Levy said. “We hope to qualify for a third NESCAC final and to win a ninth straight Little Three title.”

The perennial powers of Trinity, Harvard and Princeton are always a tough test on Williams’ schedule and the Ephs will face off against each of those teams in the first few weeks of the season.

Levy will look to captains Tony Maruca ’08 and John Barry ’08 for the experience and leadership to help the team achieve success and the lofty goals that their head coach as established for the program. The Ephs return a group of experienced juniors and sophomores, including George Miller ’09, Bernard Yaros ’09, Cameron Henry ’09, Ethan Buchsbaum ’10. The squad will add fresh faces to their roster this season as well, in the form of a solid first-year class.

With the first match of the season looming, the team has begun practicing, working hard to prepare. “We start the training season with a lot of strength and conditioning practice as well as two challenge-matches a week,” Levy said. “Overall we practice six days a week to prepare for the start of the season.”

The Ephs open play at home against NESCAC opponent Tufts this Saturday at 5 p.m.