Women’s crew rows to 2nd place

Women’s crew concluded a strong fall season last weekend at the Head of the Fish in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. The first varsity eight – made up entirely of seniors – claimed second place behind the University of Massachusetts. The second varsity eight placed first in the JV race and the two fours placed third and seventh. Overall the team placed second in a field of 12 teams.

For the varsity rowers, the Fish marked the third and final regatta of the 2007 season, but for the novices Sunday’s regatta was the first official competition. The novice women showed their skill, placing first in the women’s collegiate novice eight and taking both first and fourth in the novice fours race. “The most important part of the Fish is the fact that it is the first opportunity for our novice team to compete and showcase their talent and all the hard work they’ve been doing this fall,” said Natasha Kadimik ’08. The varsity eight placed second out of 12 teams to conclude an impressive fall season.

The Head of the Fish is more than a chance for the novice and varsity to complete the fall season. It is a time for the team to let loose and have a bit of fun after the intense Head of the Charles, which was held two weeks ago. Rowers were dressed in outrageous outfits and showed lots of spirit at the Fish on Sunday. “It was great to see so much whole-team spirit at the Fish, from the first-years wearing wacky spandex to the seniors teaching the underclassmen the traditional launching cheer,” co-captain Abigail Weir ’08 said. “As always it was full of adventure from our 5:30 a.m., Chapin steps departure to our return 10 hours later.”

Williams’ fall season was marked by impressive showings at the Fish, the Charles and the Genesee. “The fall season went really well,” Louisa Berky ’08 said. “We got some really great racing experience in and had the best weather that I have ever experienced in the fall in New England. I think everyone is really excited by the great results that we have posted this fall and is motivated to hit winter training and get faster.”

The team will now focus on their winter training in order to gear up for a much more competitive spring season. “With so much success across the various racing categories,” Weir said, “the team is excited for winter training, and for seeing where we can go from here.”