Women’s crew places 3rd at regatta

Women’s crew proved their talent to the rest of New England last weekend at the Head of the Charles Regatta. The Ephs’ first varsity boat finished third in the collegiate women’s eights with a time of 17:43.352, while the second varsity boat pulled through the finish line in 18:30.894, placing them 15th out of 44 other boats.

“The Head of the Charles was a great weekend with perfect weather and fast crews, both on our team and in the competition,” said co-captain Abigail Weir ’08. “Both [Eph] boats were speedy, with the rowers working aggressively to hit high stroke ratings and the coxswains steering very smart courses.”

With more than 8000 athletes and hundreds of thousands of spectators, the Head of the Charles Regatta is the largest two-day regatta in the world. Needless to say, the Charles is one of the Ephs’ most anticipated regattas of the year.

Williams’ first varsity eight boat placed third of 44 at the Charles, finishing behind powerhouse Trinity in first with a time of 17:20.077 and Trent University in second with 17:26.199. Conference foe Bates finished over 10 seconds later, placing fifth. “Finishing behind Trinity will give us some great motivation through the rest of the fall and all winter long, as we look forward to some fast racing this spring,” Weir said.

The second varsity eight boat placed 15th in the race and finished less than a second behind Tufts and less than a second in front of University of Vermont. Bates’ second varsity, Ithaca and Mt. Holyoke all finished a few spots ahead of the second varsity.

Despite good performances at the Head of the Charles, team members acknowledged that work was still needed to maximize their full potential. “From our performance, we learned that we have two strong and competitive boats,” co-captain Louisa Berky ’08 said. “We also got a chance to check out some of our competition for the spring and, judging from the results, Trinity and Bates are both really strong crews. It was a great chance to see how we stack up against competition and define our winter training.”

With a successful Head of the Charles behind them, Williams looks forward to racing at the Head of the Fish Regatta this weekend. “The Head of the Fish is always a fun and pretty low key regatta and usually involves some kind of boat costume/theme,” Berky said. “It is also the first regatta for the novice women’s crew, which is a chance for them to flex their muscles and showcase some to the skills they have learned this fall. It should be a fun regatta.”