Letter: Love your body

Every day, we connect with our bodies through sexuality, athletics, diet and exercise. These ways of experiencing our bodies can be wonderfully empowering to an extent. At times, social pressures placed on our bodies can also be constraining, draining and disempowering. With this in mind, we would like to share with you why today, Oct. 24, is Love Your Body Day at Williams, brought to you by the Women’s Center.

In our highly intellectualized academic setting we often lose touch with our corporeality. Instead of focusing on our bodies’ needs, we tend to obsess over their appearances. According to the National Organization for Women, 80 percent of U.S. women are dissatisfied with their appearance. Women and girls spend billions of dollars every year on cosmetics, fashion, magazines and diet aids.

At Williams, a lot of us have the tendency to get wrapped up in academics and in our brains. As a Women’s Center, our goal of Love Your Body Day is to get Williams students to address their relationships to their bodies. This means addressing the negative effects of dealing with stress, the prevalence of eating disorders and destructive sexual encounters. But more than that, we also want to supply positive activities which promote a healthy, well-rounded lifestyle.

The events we have planned (including a free yoga workshop and the return of the Passion Party) will provide necessary de-stressing and celebrate ways to enjoy our bodies. We also hope that these events open up conversation about the range of body experiences we have on campus. There is something to be said for getting to know our own bodies and learning to love them on everyday terms, alongside our crazy schedules.

We hope that many of you from different backgrounds, genders and sexualities will come out and enjoy these events. Join us as we engender a positive sense of community responsibility for non-biohazardous bodily celebration.

The Women’s Center leadership board