Ivory Towers: Harvard students renounce dean’s decision to abolish party fund

Student leaders at Harvard are resisting an order to stop using college funds for alcohol at private parties.

David Pilbeam, interim dean of Harvard College since September, issued an announcement in early October, which stated that he was banning the use of college funds for alcohol at private parties. “The UC [Undergraduate Council] Party Grant program is at odds with the message that students, parents, faculty and administrative leaders of this community should be sending about responsible and safe alcohol use,” he said.

In defiance of the university’s decision to cap funds allocated to private parties, the UC has continued to give out grants from the council’s account to be spent on alcohol. Hoping to reach reconciliation, university officials have yet to decide on a punishment for the students. Ryan Petersen, president of the council, believes the university should not dictate the direction of these grants.

“That money is our money,” Petersen said. “Until the UC decides the program has to be eliminated, [it] will remain in effect.”

In order to access these grants, Harvard students must be at least 21 years of age. After applying for the funds, they must promise to obey college rules and abide by laws at the local, state and federal levels.

The university will maintain its practice of supplying alcohol to events managed by student organizations or dormitory committees because these events are supervised by trained graduate students.

Bloomberg.com

University sends notifications to suspected file sharers

Purdue University began notifying network users of possible illegal downloading or sharing practices last week.

Purdue students have received 85 pre-litigation letters from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) since last semester and 873 copyright complaints from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) in the last year. As part of Purdue’s new initiative to curtail on-campus illegal file-sharing, these school notifications serve as a warning to network users who may have engaged in such activities. Purdue has also provided information on file-sharing via campus fliers, Cyber Security month and commercials on Purdue’s BoilerTV.

“We’re trying to get students information,” said Scott Ksander, executive director of information technology networks and security at Purdue. Ksander noted that students run the risk of losing thousands of dollars in lawsuits. Three students already face lawsuits concerning copyright violation.

Marcus Rogers, chair of the Cyber Forensics Program and professor of computer and information technology, doubts that the RIAA can confirm reports of millions lost to illegal downloading. Nevertheless, illegal downloading is still criminal copyright infringement. Not all students have stopped making use of file-sharing programs, however, and Rogers believes that they are taking a big risk.

“[You’re] playing with statistics,” said Rogers.

Students can only be sure of avoiding lawsuits if they do not illegally download or share music and movie files.

The Exponent

Assaulted Colby student saved by passerby

An unknown assailant attacked a female student in a stairwell behind the health center at Colby College on Oct. 12. The attacker was described as wearing a ski mask and a dark hoodie. The screams of the victim alerted students, who assisted the victim to the health center, where it was concluded that she had not experienced physical injury.

The attack occurred at 8:40 p.m. on the first night of Family Homecoming Weekend at the College. The assailant reportedly grabbed the student from behind and attempted to drag her off to the woods, but she screamed and caught the attention of a nearby runner. The attacker ran off when the second student arrived, and the two students made their way to the health center.

“We responded immediately,” said Joe Massey, Waterville Chief of Police, in the Portland Press Herald, “as did Colby Security. We fanned out across the campus and we were unable to come up with anybody. We called the state police. They came with four troopers and a dog.”

Campus Security and police searched Colby’s campus directly after the students reported the attack, but bad weather made the already difficult search harder, according to Director of Security Pete Chenevert. The search turned up no leads.

A security advisory warning was sent to students by e-mail by midnight on Saturday, and police elevated patrol presence during the weekend.

There is a possible connection between this incident and another on Oct. 4, which involved a suspect, also wearing a ski mask, who exposed himself to a jogger on Marston Rd., a popular loop for runners.

The Colby Echo