Spring Street Blues

Campus Safety Services

Monday 11-15-21        

9:29 a.m. Frosh Quad: Campus Safety Service (CSS) officers responded to Williams Hall after a report that a common area had a beer pong table set up with trash left over from a weekend party.

1:15 p.m. Prospect House: Officers met with a student regarding a stolen Nintendo Switch video game console. The device was registered with the Office of Information Technology (OIT). OIT staff was contacted and proper forms were completed, and officers completed a Stolen Article Report which was faxed to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD).

Tuesday 11-16-21        

11:31 a.m. Garfield House:  A staff member reported an unknown contractor and workers at Garfield House and reported them as suspicious. The contractor was found to be legitimate and known by the officers, having worked on several projects on campus. No further action was taken.

3:52 p.m. Driscoll Dining Hall: Officers responded to pick up a backpack that was left behind and brought the backpack to Hopkins Hall. After opening it to check for a name, the officers identified and contacted the owner, who came to Campus Safety and retrieved the backpack.

5:46 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Officers responded to meet Northern Berkshire Transport Service in regards to a student testing positive for COVID-19. The student was transported to quarantine housing.                       

8:01 p.m. Sawyer Library: Officers were dispatched for a door ajar alarm. Upon arrival, the officer found the third-floor video classroom propped open with a trash can. They removed the trash can and secured the door.

10:47 p.m. Stetson Court: Officers responded to off-campus housing for a resident reporting suspicious activity concerning a package delivery.

Wednesday 11-17-21        

9:44 a.m. Cole Field: Officers responded to meet the grounds foreperson concerning a missing welcome sign. It is the purple sign with white lettering stating that there is no alcohol consumption and no smoking in the seated areas. Officers also discovered another sign missing from Cole Field. A faxed copy of the Stolen Article Report (SAR) was sent to the WPD with photos attached.

4:00 p.m. Paresky Center: Chalking was observed on the east side of Paresky. Officers documented the chalking and consulted the College chalking policy. Some chalk messages using inappropriate language and written on vertical surfaces  were in violation of the policy.

Thursday 11-18-21        

4:34 p.m. Lambert House: An officer responded to reports of suspicious activity. Students reported that a man they did not recognize knocked on their door stating he was there to power down the building for demolition. The students convinced the person he was at the wrong house and he left. Officers contacted Facilities managers to find out what information could be gathered concerning this incident.

Friday 11-19-21        

7:59 a.m. Brooks House: A staff member reported a mess in the basement pool room. There were plastic cups and beer cans scattered throughout the room as well as the pool table, floor, hallways and stairwells. There was a shattered window in the office and shoe prints on the window of a Center for Learning in Action office. Beer was thrown on the walls and officers found empty 30-pack boxes of beer and two to three empty 12-pack boxes of other spirits.  In the first floor living room and library, there were plastic cups and beer cans tossed throughout the room. 

5:09 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Officers responded to a report of a stolen bicycle. A stolen article report was taken and a copy faxed to the WPD.

6:12 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Officers met with a staff member concerning an uninvited and unwanted person they heard would be attending the Ritmo Latino event at Goodrich Hall. Officers developed a plan to post an officer at the event in an effort to deter the individual from the event. Upon arrival the unwanted person was identified by event attendees. An officer contacted the unwanted person who became argumentative and verbally threatening. He refused to leave without the threat of police involvement. While officers were contacting the police, the person finally left, threatening violence upon his return. The person’s identity, information and description was shared with arriving WPD officers. 

Saturday 11-20-21        

12:35 a.m.: Officers responded to evaluate a student’s facial injury that would possibly require stitches. Upon arrival, officers activated 911, and Northern Berkshire EMS responded. They stated the student would require stitches and then transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center North.

6:50 p.m. Sherman Apartments: Officers responded to a fire alarm and found the cause to be cooking.

10:12 p.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a fire alarm and found the cause to be burnt popcorn cooked in a microwave.

11:16 p.m. Currier Hall: A staff member called CSS for clarification of rules regarding vaping in a building and asked that a supervisor respond to Currier Hall for a violation during an event. The CSS shift supervisor responded to Currier Hall to speak with the person who reported numerous individuals at a party vaping throughout the evening. 

Sunday 11-21-21        

2:57 p.m. Chandler Gym: One of the guest teams reported that three of their players’ cell phones had been stolen from their locker room during the game.

Monday 11-22-21        

8:25 a.m. Thompson Parking Lot: The parking lot sign was damaged. Officers brought the remaining pieces of the sign to the Architectural Trades shop and a work order was completed to have the sign replaced.

9:52 a.m. Prospect House: Officers were dispatched to meet Architectural Trades concerning attempted break-ins of two custodial closets that resulted in damaged doors and locks.  

9:55 a.m. Prospect House: Officers found several types of hard alcohol bottles on the window sills and tables in a common room. Officers also found an electric coffee percolator and brown paper taped in the hallway covering the entry window. There was also paper covering half of the windows leading into the common area room and numerous cardboard boxes against the heating source for the room as well. The Environmental Health and Safety Office was notified of these violations.

Tuesday 11-23-21        

10:17 a.m. Hopkins Hall: Officers responded to a theft report from a student concerning a black squash bag and a blue mesh bag containing uniforms from Driscoll. A stolen article report was taken and a copy was faxed to the WPD.

Wednesday 11-24-21        

5:21 p.m. Prospect House: Officers responded to a fire alarm. The fire panel indicated a smoke detector in a particular room, and the detector needed to be replaced.  

7:58 p.m. Doughty House: Officers responded to a fire system trouble alarm, which was found to be caused by a bad carbon monoxide detector. Electrical Trades also responded and found an old CO detector that needed to be replaced with a new one.                                                      

Thursday 11-25-21        

3:05 p.m. Mount Hope Mansion: Officers responded to a burglar alarm. Upon arrival, officers spotted two individuals walking around the backyard. They were identified, and WPD responded.   

9:17 p.m. Latham Street: An officer responded to an off-campus college residence on Latham Street after the resident called the Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) reporting that all the smoke detectors were going off in the home. WFD responded, and the on-call electrical tradesman was called and responded.

Saturday 11-27-21        

12:53 p.m. Tyler Annex: A student reported water on their carpet and said that the source was unknown. It appeared the shower in the nearby bathroom overflowed. The on-campus custodian was contacted and responded with a wet vac. The on-call mechanical tradesman was called to check for a plumbing issue.

Sunday 11-28-21        

8:20 a.m. Tyler Annex: A student in Tyler Annex called and stated that a toilet was flushing continuously. It appeared to be an issue with the motion activation device. The officer turned off the water to the toilet and notified the mechanical trades technician. 

10:12 a.m. Tyler Annex: A student reported that their room was being flooded with water. The water was found to have come from a backed-up shower drain and a toilet. Officers found minor flooding in several rooms on the first floor and called mechanical trades, custodians, and the Office of Campus Life, which provided the affected students with new rooms for the night.