Golf manages to qualify for ECACs Tournament

It was a week filled with missed opportunities, but in the end, golf pulled together to qualify for the ECACs and take a respectable third place at the NESCAC championships this past weekend at Taconic Golf Club.

The regional qualifier, held at Saratoga Springs, N.Y., pitted the Ephs against the best competition New England had to offer. Their fourth place finish wasn’t indicative of their play that weekend, as they fell only four shots behind champion Rochester.

Keeping it close was Kurt Brumme ’05 with a two over par 74. Brumme led all Ephs that day. Alex Mallory ’07 followed Brumme’s lead with a 76, while co-captain Ned Wydysh ’04 posted a solid 77. Matt Slovitt ’06 continued his consistent, quality golf with a 79 and Kevin Kellert ’07 finished with an 83.

The mid-week classic showed yet again the depth and talent that Head Coach Rick Pohle has been able to call upon, with only one senior in the lineup, and two underclassmen in the tourney.

“Depth is a great thing, and a big part of our program,” he said. “I guess I’m most impressed by the selected player’s ability to step it up and contribute.” The tournament proved to be another big step in the right direction, gaining the young squad even more valuable experience for the more important tourneys ahead.

Two days later, the Ephs came back to the Taconic and participated in the rain–shortened NESCAC championships. Vying for their fourth straight NESCAC crown, the Ephs came just seven shots short on the 18-hole shortened event. Hamilton College edged Amherst by a single shot with a team total 311. It was hard weekend to accept for players and coach alike, especially given the shortage due to weather.

“It’s a shame to have to crown a champion on just an 18 hole round, but all players knew of the potential weather problems before playing on Saturday,” Pohle said. “Hamilton just got the job done when they had to.”

Leading the way was co-captain Bryan Harmon ’04 with a 77. Wydysh posted another solid round of 79, with Mallory only a shot behind with 80. Slovitt and Brumme both posted 82s.

Williams men’s golf team looks to redeem themselves this weekend back at Saratoga on Oct. 4-5 for the ECAC Championships.