Field hockey bounces back with two wins

Field hockey (4-1, 3-1 in the NESCAC) bounced back from a tough loss last week against Bowdoin with two wins away on Thursday and Saturday against Keene State and Trinity, respectively. After their 5-1 win against Keene State and their 4-3 win against Trinity, the Ephs.

From the first minutes of the game against Keene State, Williams proved to be on top of its game, as Tara Boyd ’05 put one in the net with an assist by Tori Scott ’04. Williams dominated in the first half, keeping the ball on the offensive side and away from goalie Jen Steinberg ’05. The second Eph goal came mid-way through the first half, when Katie Wilkes ’07 put one in by the post on an assist by Crista Petrelli ’05. Soon after, Boyd scored her second goal of the game, bringing the score to 3-0.

The second half was played similarly to the first, with Williams in complete control of the field. Jay Gregory ’06 started off the second half with a great play on a corner and put one in goal assisted by Cathleen Clark ’07. After 45 minutes in net and some great saves, Steinberg retired from goal and Wendy Stone ’05 took her place in the net. Stone finished the game with three saves. For Williams’ final goal, Molly Jennings ’04 made a great play from the top of the circle off the corner with an assist by Claire Wipple ’05.

Head Coach Alix Rorke was impressed with the quality of the team’s playing. “This was a nice game to bounce back with after our difficult loss to Bowdoin,” she said. “I thought we played really well as a team, something that had been missing against Bowdoin last Saturday.” Williams’ win over Keene snapped the Owl’s three-game winning streak. The loss caused Keene State to fall to 5-1.

The Ephs kept the streak going as they defeated Trinity two days later in an exciting game won in the final minutes. Williams and Trinity appeared to be evenly matched throughout the game. With excellent stick skills, the Ephs managed to work the ball up the field many times throughout the first half. This strategy proved to be effective when Petrelli’s quick and powerful shooting skills helped her to score the first goal assisted by Boyd.

Trinity gained momentum and scored two goals to gain the lead before Scott received a pass through the middle from Jennings for the Ephs’ second goal of the day. Despite a number of great saves from Stone, the Bantams managed to put in one more goal against Williams to put Trinity ahead by one at the half.

The Ephs came into the second half motivated and ready to take on the Bantams for the final stretch. First-years Wilkes and Clark got the momentum going with an early goal to tie up the game. The rest of the half was a battle with each team bringing the ball onto their offensive side but unable to score. With just a few minutes on the clock, Jennings, one of the Ephwomen’s tri captains, intercepted a Trinity pass and drove a hard shot from the top of the circle right through the pads of the Bantam goalie to win the game with two minutes left to play. Stone had 13 saves throughout the game and Trinity goalie Gwen Gillespie had 13 as well, though the Bantams fell to 1-4 overall and 1-3 in the NESCAC.

On Thursday, Oct. 2, Williams will travel to Union for a 4 p.m. contest.