Crew ready to hit the waters

After a summer of individual dryland preparation, men’s crew has returned to the water to prepare for its intense fall racing schedule. During the fall season, the team will compete in races focusing on long distances of over 4500 meters, as opposed to the spring, where the season consists of shorter 2000 meter sprint pieces. Despite a disappointing Spring season last year, where the men’s team came in fourth at the New England Championships and the women’s team finished in fifth place, outlook for the upcoming fall season is very optimistic.

The men’s squad will have a strong nucleus returning, losing only two seniors from the class of 2003. “The team features a strong core of juniors and seniors, with six oarsmen returning from last year’s varsity eight,” Chris Flynn ’04 said. “The addition of nine sophomores from last year’s highly successful freshman crew gives the team great depth and energy, and should lead to fast boats for our fall regattas.”

This year coaches Peter Wells and Ben Lewis have focused on strength-endurance training based off of the Oxford-Brooks model, which should give the men’s team the base aerobic capacity to be very competitive in the Fall races.

The women’s team has also brought back many members from last year’s squad as they have also lost only two of last year’s players to graduation. “We are extremely excited about the fall season and the upcoming spring season – we’re starting off with some incredible depth, both in our returning varsity rowers and in the freshmen and sophomore newcomers,” co-captain Anne Lewis ’04 said. “Right now, we’re rowing two very competitive eights, and hopefully, battling it out everyday in practice will yield some good team results in the fall head racing.” With a continued focus on technique and core strength, coach Justin Moore hopes to create a strong squad that will not be as prone to the back injuries that plagued their team last year

This Sunday, both the men’s and women’s crews will head down to Hartford, Conn. to compete in their first head race of the season, the Riverfront Recapture. The event, which will take competitors 2.5 miles down the Connecticut River, will attract over 1,500 rowers from around the Northeast to compete in every different type of boat. Williams will compete in the collegiate eight and four person boats against their traditional rivals, Wesleyan and Trinity.

“We are excited to put our last few weeks of training on the water to the test in our first race of the season,” Josh Temblador ’04 said. “This race will be a benchmark that will give us an indicator of where we are right now as a team and where we need to be in the near future.” The race on Sunday will be almost the only competition Williams will face before their biggest race of the season on Oct 18th, when Crew will travel to Boston to row in the Head of the Charles.