Volleyball dominates at 2003 Plymouth Inv.

Behind strong play from the junior trio of Joyia Chadwick ’05, Meg Demment ’05 and Robin Young ’05, women’s volleyball (4-0, 0-0 in the NESCAC) defeated Coast Guard to win the Plymouth State Invitational this past weekend. In their first match of the final day, the Ephwomen faced Johnson and Wales University and came away with a victory in straight games 3-0 (30-11, 30-20, 30-11). The convincing win was powered by Chadwick’s 13 kills, Young’s 12 kills and Demment’s 22 assists and eight service aces.

“We just had more size and greater offensive weapons than Johnson and Wales,” Head Coach Fran Vandermeer said. The Ephwomen were able to use some of their younger players in the match, including Alexis Kneep ’07, who chipped in 18 assists.

“It’s fun and exciting to see the potential we have,” Chadwick said. “We used this weekend to work on adjusting to the faster pace of our offense, and I think we made good progress.”

In the championship match, the Ephwomen had a rematch with Coast Guard and the result was the same as their first encounter – a victory for Williams. The Ephs prevailed 3-0 (30-25, 30-24, 30-26) courtesy of what Vandermeer called “a good all-around effort for an early season match.”

En route to the title, Young notched nine kills, four service aces and an impressive 27 digs. “Robin had a tremendous weekend. She was consistent and played excellent, inspired defense,” Vandermeer said. Young was named the tournament MVP and Demment was named to the All-tournament team. Demment had 32 assists, five kills and five digs in the final match.

Annie Denison ’05 contributed nine kills and five digs and Chadwick tallied 15 kills and 10 digs. “I was happy with our play this weekend. We did a lot of good things, and I look forward to our home match next weekend,” Vandermeer said.

On the first day of action opened their 2003 season with wins in straight games over Bridgewater State 3-0 (30-15, 30-20, 30-28) and Coast Guard 3-0 (30-13, 30-20, 30-27) at Plymouth State. In the first match against Bridgewater State, AVCA All-American Chadwick had 11 kills and four blocks, and Denison led the team with 12 kills. Demment notched 27 assists, seven digs and four kills in the match.

In the second match of the evening against Coast Guard, the Ephs looked strong and “started to play with a faster offense which was one of our goals,” Vandermeer said. Chadwick tallied 13 kills in the match along with six blocks. Denison added 10 kills, and outside hitter Krista Suojanen ’06 contributed 10 digs. Young played very well, accumulating eight kills, nine digs and four service aces. “Robin really controlled the floor, ran down some tough balls and put forth a tremendous effort tonight,” Vandermeer said. Demment, who also played a solid couple of matches, had 25 assists and four service aces for the Ephs. Vandermeer was pleased that “all of the players could get some action and contribute to both wins.”

The 19th-ranked Ephs are in action again Saturday at home against MIT at noon and Wellesley at 5 p.m.