Women’s lacrosse season

“It ain’t over ’till it’s over” is a saying that rings true when discussing this season in women’s lacrosse. Last week’s article mistakenly stated that the season was over, only for the Ephwomen to receive the NCAA at large bid along with Amherst on May 6.

“It’s nice to see that they recognize how strong our league is,” Assistant Coach Alix Rorke said. “The NESCAC conference deserved these two bids.” Williams was given a second chance in the big leagues and more importantly, they were given a chance to face Middlebury again.

Unfortunately, it was another hard game against the Panthers for Williams, ending with a 14-5 loss in the final round of regionals. The Ephs scored the opening goal on Midd’s turf last Sunday, but it was their first and only of the half. Middlebury then advanced with eight goals bringing the half time score to 8-1.

In the second half, Williams came out stronger, but it wasn’t enough to contain Middlebury. Despite the four-goal run towards the end, the Ephs were unable to take the win and advance to the semi-finals.

On Saturday, the Ephwomen went into their game against Ithaca in the opening game of Regionals with optimism. Williams knew that they had the ability to win this first round of the NCAA tournament. “We should be able to beat them,” Rorke said, and beat them they did, pulling out a 11-5 victory.

Although Ithaca initially had the lead at 2-1 in the beginning of the first half, Williams quickly came back with two goals to bring the score to 3-2 at the half.

The Ephwomen collected themselves during half time, as they have been known to do, to finish the rest of the game with force. The second half has been a strong point for lacrosse throughout the season and this proved to be true yet again on Saturday.

The Ephs charged the field in the second half, taking control of the rest of the game. They dominated ball control, putting in an additional eight goals. Ithaca was only able to put three more in, leaving the score at 11-5.

While they may not advance to the finals this year, congratulations are certainly in order for this team; five of the Ephs made the All-NESCAC teams.

Midfielders Kathryn Doherty ’03 and Molly Jennings ’04 both took first team honors for their second years. Becca Kiselewich ’04 also made the first team for her significant defensive contributions. Goalie Abi Jackson ’03 made the second team for the second time while Kate Leonard ’03 picked up this honor in her final season.

Spring seasons are usually short, but between the NESCAC finals and the NCAA tournament, women’s lacrosse successfully managed to extend its season. While they did not make it to the NCAA finals this year, with another season of experience under their belt there is no reason fans shouldn’t see them return and go even further next year.