Women’s LAX ends season with loss to Middlebury

Women’s lacrosse (10-0-3, 8-0-3 in the NESCAC) ended its season last Sunday at the NESCAC tournament at Middlebury. The team had high hopes of wining the tournament and going to the NCAAs, but its season finished sooner than the team would have liked.

In the semi-final game, the Ephwomen finished their season with a loss to Amherst, 9-11. Amherst started the game well, and pieced together a 7-5 lead by halftime. But in the second half Williams was quick to come back with the two goals to tie it up.

Amherst was resilient, though, and put another four goals in the net. With 5:33 left on the clock, a comeback looked difficult for Williams. However, the Ephwomen were unfazed by the improbability of a comeback and refused to go down quietly. They managed to string together two more goals against the Jeffs, but ultimately, they could not pull off a triumphant comeback.

Despite the season-ending loss to their archrivals, the Ephwomen have had a great season, finishing with only three losses. The final stretch of the season was especially difficult since they were slated against the toughest teams in the league.

As for statistics, Molly Jennings ’04 led the team in points with 41 for the season. Kathryn Doherty ’03 and Kate Leonard ’03 led the squad in goals scored at 26 apiece. Tori Scott ’04 led in assists, racking up 19. But overall, everyone contributed to the season, 14 of the 20 field players scored this year.

Last Sunday’s match-up against Trinity in the first round of the NESCAC tournament was one of the Ephwomen’s best games this year. After losing to Middlebury on Wednesday and Amherst in a tight game on Saturday to conclude their regular season, many feared the Ephs would be too fatigued for their match on Sunday. Fresh and ready to go, however, the women displayed their usual unselfish play and cohesiveness on the field, factors that contribute to Ephs’ foremost strength – their team chemistry. Their defense was unbreakable and their offense unstoppable.

Although the Ephwomen didn’t win any titles this season, they are a fairly young team. As many have commented, they have got depth on the bench as well as on the field. And despite their youth, they are experienced. With this in mind, there is certainly a chance for them to go even further next year, even though they will be losing valuable seniors.

Amherst and Middlebury should be wary of the Williams next season, for this team has no intention of falling short of expectations. “We have a young team, but a lot of us have been playing together for two or three years now,” Doherty said. “So that, combined with our depth on the bench, makes us the force that we are.”

This team plans on remaining a force in the NESCAC, but will miss the six valuable seniors it is graduating. Doherty, Moonju Han ’03, Abi Jackson ’03, Leonard, Leanne McManama ’03 and Stef Noering ’03 all had good seasons and they will be sorely missed next year. Both these seniors have contributed much to the team on and off the field.