Turf field a fitting tribute

Congratulations and thanks to the friends and former players of lacrosse coach Renzie Lamb, who have secured funding for a fitting tribute to the Williams icon. After 35 years of devotion to the athletes he coached and to the College, Lamb’s name will be immortalized by the new Renzie W. Lamb Field. Scheduled for completion by Spring, 2004, the all-weather field will allow Williams varsity, JV and club athletes alike to hit the outdoors early on in our muddy and sometimes downright wintry spring. Undoubtedly, the competitive edge gained from practicing outdoors will help Eph athletes maintain a high standard of excellence and ease the congestion of practice space during the winter months. Beyond varsity sports, however, the turf field will be a boon for junior varsity and club sports as well. With a severely overtaxed field house, which necessitates scheduling club team practice times late into the night, the new fields will ease the burden on the building, as well as the burden on various teams’ schedules.

More broadly, the field is a perfect representation of how faculty, students and staff can work together towards improving the College. With multiple constituencies all advocating a turf field, it is heartening to see the Committee on Priorities and Resources and Senior Staff approve the project. Upon its completion, it is essential that the goodwill towards cooperative sharing of the space for all teams is not forgotten. Use of the facility must stay true to its mission of cooperative access.