Women’s LAX downs Trinity

Women’s lacrosse (10-0-2; 8-0-2 in the NESCAC) is headed to the semi-finals in the NESCAC tournament after beating Trinity in the first game of the postseason, 10-4. It’s been a rough week for the team, as they have suffered many injuries. “Having a lot of games clustered together is taking a toll on the team at the end of the season,” Kathryn Doherty ’03 said.

In the first round of the NESCAC tournament the third-seeded Ephwomen took on the six-seeded Bantams after a rough loss to Amherst on Saturday. Williams came out strong in the first half, letting only one goal in and scoring six. Successful transitions and passing sequences were numerous as offense dominated control of the field throughout the game. During the second half Trinity scored twice within the first ten minutes.

The Ephwomen were quick to respond. Doherty was first to score for the Ephs in the second half with 20:42 on the clock off a beautiful assist from Kate Leonard ’03. Tara Boyd ’05 was quick to put another goal in with 19:47 still left in the second half.

Offensively, Doherty and Leonard were forces on the field. Doherty contributed four goals, while Leonard put in three goals and had one assist. Tori Scott ’04, Cristina Petrelli ’05 and Boyd also each tipped one in for Williams. As for assists, Amy Wicker ’05 came in with three, while Leanne McManama ’03 contributed two and Molly Jennings ’04 and Leonard each had one. Defensively the Ephs were strong and communicative. Abi Jackson ’03 finished the game with an impressive fifteen saves.

Although, some of the referee’s calls and cards given to the Ephwomen were questionable, Williams played well after a tough week. A solid victory of 10-4 is a great start for the postseason.

Last Saturday, the Ephwomen lost to the Amherst Lord Jeffs with a score of 11-12 in overtime. It was expected to be a tough game: “Whenever we play Amherst” Doherty said, “it’s anyone’s game because of the rivalry. Our scores against other teams have been relatively similar; it will be a real battle.” And a battle it was. Although Williams scored the first two goals of the game, Amherst was able to pull seven goals in the first half to Williams’ four.

In the second half, the Ephwomen fought for control of the game, bringing the score at the close to 11-11. In overtime, both Williams and Amherst came out with a vengeance. It wasn’t until there were only 39 seconds left on the clock that the Lord Jeff’s Abbey Ouimet brought the game to a close.

Williams faced their first loss on Wednesday in a tough game against Middlebury. Both teams were tied for first with undefeated seasons, but the Panthers came out on top with a 17-4 victory.

Although the halftime score of 7-2 may not indicate it, the Ephs were hanging in there with the Panthers. “We felt good about the first half, until the last eight minutes,” Head Coach Chris Mason said. Williams and Middlebury battled for control in the first half until Middlebury was able to put five more in towards the end.

But the Ephs had not lost hope. “We came out believing we could go in and beat them in the second half,” Doherty said, “especially with a score of 7-2. We thought we could come back as we had before.” Williams was quick to score two goals with in the first five minutes, but was ultimately unable to put together a comeback.

“After watching the video,” Doherty said, “we can tell that Midd is definitely beatable. We just have to work on showing up and playing the whole game, not parts of it.”

The Ephs also played the Tufts Jumbos on Monday. They came out with a victory of 12-8, but Tufts put up a fight. In the first half, the teams fought for the upper hand, closing the first half with a score of 7-6, Williams.

The first half went scoreless for the first twenty minutes. The Jumbos then were first to score, putting in two goals and taking the lead at 8-7. But Williams was able to pull together and put in an impressive five goals, catching Tufts completely off guard and ending the game with a solid four-point margin.

Williams is headed to Middlebury next weekend for the semifinals, and if all goes well, the finals of the NESCAC tournament. “Hopefully we’ll revisit Midd at the NESCAC finals,” Doherty said, “and take another stab.” After coming out of a rough week with a very solid victory under their belt, the Ephwomen are heading into these postseason games with confidence.