College accepts class of 2007

A record number of students applied for the Class of 2007, pushing the acceptance rate to 20.4 percent, the lowest percentage in 23 years. A total of 5,338 students applied, of whom only 1,092 were admitted.

The previous applicant high was set in 1987, when 5,099 applied for the class of 1991. This year’s numbers showed an eight percent increase from last year, when the acceptance rate was 22.7 percent. The acceptance rate for the Class of 2005 was 24.1 percent.

“I’ve been here for 18 years, and the quality of the applicant pool was as strong as I’ve ever seen,” said Richard Nesbitt, director of Admissions. Of the accepted students, the average SAT score was 1434, with a 719 Verbal and 715 Math scores.

Much like in years past, the target class size is 525. However, in order to avoid an oversized class like the Class of 2006, the Admissions office accepted 29 fewer students than last year.

Of the admitted students, 561 were females and 531 males. Though previous years have seen more men than women applying, the applicant pool was surprisingly evenly split between men and women, with 2,662 male applicants and 2,676 female.

The admitted students for the Class of 2007 also proved to be one of the most diverse admitted classes yet, with roughly 33 percent American students of color. Of the 1,092 admitted, there are 129 African Americans, 105 Latino Americans, 135 Asian Americans and six Native Americans.

The accepted student group also includes 64 international students from 37 different countries, as well as 22 dual citizens currently living abroad. The College received 875 applications from international students, up from about 650 for the Class of 2006 and about 400 for the Class of 2005.

Nesbitt attributes the increase to the College’s recent decision to be need-blind internationally as well as domestically. “Being need-blind internationally has allowed us to get a broader range of students geographically,” Nesbitt said.

Athletic tips comprised 68 of the admitted student group; though the College generally accepts 66 tips, they accepted 68 this year because only 64 tips attended last year. An additional 177 have been identified by coaches as capable of competing at the varsity level, but were not formally recruited.

The accepted class also includes 128 with musical attributes, 46 with talents in theater and dance, 148 interested in science research, 43 considering a non-science Ph.D. and 53 who have participated extensively in social service.

Though Nesbitt says that geographic distribution of the accepted students “is not something [Admissions] pays a lot of attention to,” the admitted students show a distribution similar to previous classes.

The top 10 states represented are New York, Massachusetts, California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Florida and Virginia. Of the top three states represented, 193 students hail from New York, 154 from Massachusetts and 101 from California.

The College is now beginning to hear from accepted students, as forms outlining students’ plans for next year should be postmarked by May 1.

Exact numbers for the Class of 2007 will not be finalized until the end of the summer, however, as Admissions anticipates a “summer melt” of students choosing to take a year off or attend another institution.

Nesbitt explained that the College normally keeps a high number on the waiting list, as the yield depends largely on the actions of other colleges. “If Yale and Harvard decide to go deeply to their waitlist that could impact us,” Nesbit t said.