Letters: Race for a Cure

When it comes to cancer, no one needs to hear an astonishing statistic to realize how many lives it affects. Tragically, we all know of people who have battled with cancer. This Sunday, the entire Williams community is invited to participate in the Seventh Annual Run for A Cure to benefit the American Cancer Society (ACS). All are welcome to run, walk, bike or roller blade this two and a half mile loop to help raise money for the ACS.

The ACS is the largest source of private, non-profit cancer research funds in the United States and has been researching over 100 types of cancer for almost 90 years. In addition to financing critical cancer research, it also focuses its efforts on cancer prevention, early detection, patient treatment and support for the families of those afflicted with this disease.

The Run for a Cure was started in 1997 by two female soccer players in honor of their friend Matt Stauffer who was a Williams soccer player battling with leukemia at the time. Although Matt finally died in 1998, the Run for A Cure has continued in his memory and in memory of those who have battled with cancer.

Over the past six years, the Run for a Cure has raised over $57,000. It is a day of music, free food, good energy, community and, hopefully, sunshine. Prizes will be awarded to the male and female participants who finish first and to the top supporters of the run. There will also be a raffle to distribute gift certificates to local restaurants, hotels and stores.

Registration begins at noon on Sunday on the Chapin Hall lawn, but you can pre-register at the tables in Baxter this week to avoid the long lines on the day of the race. Registration is $5 and if you donate $15 you get a free T-shirt. Feel free to give anything extra that you can. The race begins at 1 p.m. So please join us in taking a proactive role in helping those stricken with cancer.

Hannah Stauffer ’05