Ephs sit atop nation in Directors’ Cup standings

Is lucky number seven within sight?

A winter season to remember, including a trio of top-three finishes, has extended Williams’ lead atop the Sears Director’s Cup standings to an incredible 290.75 points at the two-thirds mark of the athletic year. Trinity (TX) trailed the Ephs by only 37 points after fall competition, but has fallen to fourth in the wake of the Williams explosion.

The Ephs’ total stands at 873.25, with the College of New Jersey second at 582.5 and Wisconsin-LaCrosse on the podium with 502.5. Wartburg (Iowa) rounds out the top five, while Amherst currently sits at 15th with 318 points.

Williams is now only 115.75 ticks short of the all-time record Div. III total (989 points), established by the Ephs during the 2001-2002 academic year. That campaign earned the school its sixth Director’s Cup in a seven-year span, and was its fourth consecutive triumph.

Perhaps motivated by the relentless winter, seven teams finished in the top-20 nationally, as Williams’ 497.25-point masterpiece set an all-time Div. III record. The high mark was certainly aided by a 31-1 record and a national championship by Coach Dave Paulsen and men’s basketball, the first for the College.

Women’s swimming and diving was nearly as successful, taking second overall at the NCAA Championships, another all-time best for Williams. Women’s track and field enjoyed similar honors, taking third at the national meet, while men’s track and field finished in the 14th slot after a very successful season.

Div. I skiing contributed a 14th-place finish as well, taking down many larger schools in the process, while both wrestling and men’s swimming and diving notched 17th position in the final standings.

As the spring season kicks into high gear, teams are protected by a nearly-insurmountable lead. Nonetheless, strong starts from baseball and men’s lacrosse give even the most pessimistic Eph supporter hope that the crystal trophy may once again make its way into the hands of Athletic Director Harry Sheehy and the deserving Williams program.