College to convert singles into doubles

Dean Lopez also announced that the College has decided to convert 27 rooms into doubles because of a housing crunch that first became noticeable during winter study this year. In addition to 27 singles, one double, Agard 6, will be converted into two separate doubles. “I think the reason we’ve had to double these rooms is the housing crunch has not gotten better,” Lopez said.

Worries about what study abroad numbers will look like next year also prompted the College to make the room changes. “We can’t impose a deadline on study-abroad students,“Lopez said, which means the College is never quite sure which students will go abroad and which will ultimately stay on campus. “Who knows what the political climate will bring. If we’re not at war it might change, but there’s still SARS in Asia.”

Lopez also said that a significant decrease in off-campus housing, which the College does not have any control over, has pushed more students back onto campus. Lopez said there are probably 30 less students applying for off-campus housing than in previous years.

The rooms which are to be converted into doubles are: Dean Lopez also announced that the College has decided to convert 27 rooms into doubles because of a housing crunch that first became noticeable during winter study this year. In addition to 27 singles, one double, Agard 6, will be converted into two separate doubles. “I think the reason we’ve had to double these rooms is the housing crunch has not gotten better,” Lopez said.

The rooms which are to be converted into doubles are: