Bates professor arrested for drug trafficking

Linda Brown, assistant professor of music at Bates College, was arrested Friday, April 11 for drug trafficking. Brown was charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine and crack cocaine and two counts of distributing crack cocaine.

According to a Press Herald article and court documents, Brown “sold cocaine, let drug dealers stay in her home and hosted a barbecue where crack cocaine was cooked up on her kitchen stove.”

During arraignment, Brown’s lawyer, Neria Douglas, said that her client should be preparing to travel to South Africa on a Fulbright scholarship. Douglas added that “her client got into trouble because she was too kind to some people who needed a place to stay.”

Brown’s bond was set at $25,000.

There is no evidence that Brown sold any drugs to students at Bates.

Brown’s arrest comes as no surprise to authorities, as an investigation was launched against the Bates professor in early January of this year, after an informant in prison alerted officials of her illegal dealings.

According to an affidavit filed in court, Williams received cocaine in return for allowing people to stay in her home.

Following her arrest, a search warrant was issued. Police found drugs and other drug paraphernalia at her home.

“She was absolutely dumbfounded that these types of charges [were brought] and shocked,” said Douglas. “This is a person who has a full and rewarding life, and this is a crushing blow.”

If convicted of each charge, Williams could face up to 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $1 million.

Courtesy of the Press Herald and the Kennebec Journal