ACE introduces next year’s officers, aims to expand student membership

All Campus Entertainment (ACE), which was created one year ago in an attempt to consolidate the several funding structures responsible for social programming on campus, has recently elected its leadership for the next year. According to the ACE mission statement, “the purpose of [the organization] is to serve the Williams College student body by producing a variety of diverse, cost-effective and successful social events.”

Over the past weekend, ACE elected its new officers for 2003-2004. Drew Newman ’04, who is currently studying abroad at Oxford, will serve as president, Reid Phillips ’05 will serve as communication officer and Micah Halsey ’05 will serve as chief financial officer. CJ Bak ’05, ACE treasurer and also business manager of the Record will serve as interim president for the rest of this academic year due to Newman’s absence.

“I am very excited about leading ACE again next year,” Newman said. “For months, I have been thinking about how I can make ACE and the Williams social scene even better. I have a lot of ideas. One of my big goals is to make ACE and social planning fun again.”

“Putting together even a small event takes a lot of work and we need to thank our hardworking volunteers,” he said. “In addition, I want to double the size of ACE’s active membership through a big recruiting effort at the start of next year.”

Over the course of the year, ACE has sponsered numerous events for the student body as a whole, including movies, off-campus trips, comedians and all-campus parties in its efforts to meet the goals set by the mission statement.

Karen Untereker ’05, ACE General Entertainment treasurer, said that the members of ACE have “worked hard to put together events that appeal to the whole student body.”

ACE members cited the organization’s main strength as creating a more organized and cohesive way to facilitate social planning at the College. “ACE’s strengths center largely on the fact that we have been able to integrate all the aspects of social planning,” Bak said.

This new centralization ensures that major all-campus events will not be competing with one another.

Also, the structure of ACE helps keep students more informed about what is going on around campus. According to Bak, “through ace.williams.edu and our ace-events listserve, we have been able to provide students with accurate information on what is happening on campus during any given day.”

“We’ve found that the largest reason that events are unattended is simply because people don’t know about them,” he added.

ACE makes it easier to finance all-campus events since there is a more centralized source of funding, it is also much easier to co-sponsor events with other groups.

Currently, though, one problem with ACE is the low membership for an organization with so many responsibilities on campus. “Attempting to provide all of the entertainment for the entire campus seems a bit unrealistic, as everyone has a different idea of what’s fun to do on the weekend,” particularly “without more critical mass in our membership,” Untereker said.

“We are currently addressing ways to offer incentives to members and any person on campus who helps ACE over the course of the year. One possible solution would be to offer perks or freebies to students who help ACE plan, host or clean up events frequently,” Untereker said.

Bak echoed these sentiments, saying that “social planning, and all-campus party organization in particular, is a thankless job, as most students take events for granted. Since we don’t have the financial ability to pay our members, nor would we want to, we’ve been trying to work on alternative incentive systems to keep people from getting burned out.”