Racial preferences unconstitutional

College admissions policy aimed at eradicating racial discrimination by practicing racial discrimination defies common sense. Rather than promoting “diversity,” these well-intentioned yet misguided attempts at social engineering foster feelings of inferiority and resentment while flying in the face of the American ideal of equal treatment under the law.

In regard to linking athletes and legacies to minorities in the college admissions process – as many proponents of racial preferences have done – neither the Constitution or Federal law prohibits institutions of higher learning from discriminating in favor of the athletically inclined or children of alumni. However, The Civil Rights Act of 1964 does forbid racial discrimination in “places of public accommodation” and in institutions “receiving Federal financial assistance.” The act states, “No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

Williams College, as the recipient of hundreds of thousands of dollars in Federal funding each year, and as a “place of public accommodation,” falls under the jurisdiction of the statute. Hopefully the Supreme Court will enforce the law, as the time has come for this country to make good on the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. by promoting a society where people are not “judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Dave Barnard

Head Baseball/Assistant Football Coach