JOSE now open for online voting, participation up

Online voting for the 2003 College Council Election began Monday at 12:01 a.m. and will end at 11:59 p.m. on tonight. Students can log on to JOSE at http://jose.williams.edu to vote for all elected positions as well as for the CC Constitutional Referendum.

The different offices include those of CC co-Presidents, Treasurer, Secretary and Campus At-Large, MinCo and Class Representatives.

Additional elections are being held for positions on the Committee of Priorities and Resources and the Honor and Discipline Committee.

Students may also vote on the Constitutional Referendum. A product of two and a half years of work, the constitution includes several major proposed changes. If passed, it will allow CC to lobby the College and town officials, make it easier for students to pass referenda and constitutional amendments and allow CC to be more flexible in terms of membership.

The new document also requires all CC representatives to be enrolled at Williams, prevents any individual from holding more than one seat in Council and provides for a student vote to fill vacancies. The entire Constitution and these proposed changes can be viewed on JOSE.

Four pairs of candidates are competing in the CC co-President race. They are Chin Ho ’04 and Mike Henry ’04, Zak Haviland ’04 and Shomik Dutta ’05, Brendan Docherty ’04 and Scott Grinsell ’04 and Aidan Finley ‘04 and Sarah Iams ’04.

Federico Sosa ’04 and Jonathan Landsman ’05 are running unopposed for the positions of CC Treasurer and Secretary, respectively.

Campus At-Large Representatives are expected to communicate important campus issues between CC and the student body. Running in the election are Andres Schabelman ’06, Philipp Huy ’06, Gerald Lindo ’04, Marcus Duyzend ’06, Aaron Wilson ’04 and Jose Reyes ’06. Four positions are open in this election.

Running for the two positions of MinCo Representatives are Carlos Ramirez ’06 and Nathan Winstanley ’04. Once elected, the representatives will act as speakers in CC for the different MinCo organizations and are expected to generate discussions between CC and MinCo.

One student will be elected to the Committee of Priorities and Resources, a group composed of sophomores, juniors and administrators who work to prioritize the allocations of the College’s financial resources. Scott Mackenzie ’06, Craig Olshan ’05 and Yamnia Cortez ’06 are the three candidates for this election.

Class Representatives are charged with communicating issues and concern between CC and their class. Candidates for the Class of 2004 are Nathan Winstanley ’04 and Emily Steinhagen ’04. Jim Irving ’05 and Jessica England ’06 are the only students running for the position in their respective classes.

Two votes may be cast for candidates from each class who seek to be on the Honor and Discipline Committee. Members of the committee hear cases of alleged violations of College policies and the Honor Code. The juniors who are running are Charles Webster ’04, Casey Czubay ’04 and Thomas White’04 . Sophomore candidates are Susan Alice Brown ’05, Hugh Green ’05 and Denise Nunes ’05. First-year candidates are Jonathan Brajtbord ’06, Megan O’Malley ’06, Jessica Davis ’06, Muhammed Seegulam ’06 and Andrew Eyre ’06.

When voting online, students also have the option of choosing “write-in” candidates who are not already listed on JOSE.

Shortly past midnight on Monday morning, the Elections Supervisory Committee (ESC) discovered that participation levels for the co-Presidential race were at 0 percent. Since people were clearly casting votes, the ESC investigated the glitch and found that it was due to an error on JOSE. An email was promptly sent to each co-Presidential candidate concerning the problem and all candidates opted to restart the election.

The ESC encourages all students who voted between 12:01 a.m. and 1:34 a.m. to log on and re-vote for the co-Presidential candidates before the online election ends on Tuesday night. The error did not affect voting in any other election.

Despite the delay, the participation level for the co-Presidential race was around 35 percent of the student body on Monday evening.

For the constitutional changes to pass, there must be at least a 50 percent participation rate and of that 50 percent, 2/3 of those voting must be in favor of the changes. As of Monday evening, the participation level for the constitutional referendum was around 36 percent. This statistic is relatively high when compared to the numbers in last year’s referendum, which could not garner enough voter participation to pass the amendments.