Women’s track and field win MIT Quad Cup, men settle for second place

On Sunday, the Williams women placed first with a score of 222, and MIT took second with 141.

“We were low in numbers,” said Katie Marsh ’05, “but those who were there looked really good. A lot of people qualified for the next couple of championship meets that are coming up, so we’ll have a pretty full team attending those.” Marsh won the 1000 meters, pacing herself in a three-woman field to a solid time of 3:05.

“On the bus heading home we went from person to person and found out there were about 14 new personal bests on the day among 10 or 12 of the women, anyway,” said assistant coach Peter Farwell. “I saw a lot of strong performances considering the strong training week people put in.”

Jumps-and-throws coach Fletcher Brooks, for example, took his athletes through a lifting regimen difficult enough to sap some Saturday strength. Katie Krause ’06, however, marked her best throw ever in the shot-put, and Kristen Moss ’06 had a stellar day in the field and on the track.

“Kristen Moss was probably the highlight of the meet,” said Farwell. “She won the 55-meter hurdles in 9.00, landed 16’4″ in the long jump, and ran the 800 meters because she’s trying to qualify for the pentathlon. The high jump was the last event of the afternoon, and she won that at a height of 5’4.5″, which is enough to qualify her for the Division I Championships at the end of February. I don’t think we’ve had anyone on the women’s team clear 5’4.5″ in the last five or six years. It’s a very good mark.”

Meredith Jones ’04 returned to the arena after time abroad in Australia and zipped over 11’1″ (an NCAA-provisional standard) in the pole vault. Fellow vaulters Rachel Horowitz ’03 and Sarah Iams ’04 arced to personal bests at 9’6″ and 9’0″, respectively.

Melissa Daly ’03 marked 15’10″ in the long jump.

Katie Fulton ’06 won both the 200 and 55-meter dashes, clocking 7.48 in the 55. Afton Johnson ’05 won the 400-meter open, and Caroline Cretti ’06 won the mile in 5:10.

Saturday, the men’s track-and-field team worked to beat the point spread against MIT at the Engineers’ annual quad meet with RPI and Westfield State.

“On paper, we stand to lose by nearly a hundred points,” Head Coach Ralph White told his squad in a team meeting on Thursday. “They’re scoring eight places. There are several events in which we’re entering only one body and MIT has six. We’ll do what we can, and pick up as many points as possible with what we have.”

In sum, the men were able to put up 164.5 points against MIT’s winning total of 238. RPI shouldered into the figures with a significant displacement tally of 147.5 points. Westfield accumulated 36.

Scott Farley ’03 tied for fourth in the 55-meter dash at 6.71 seconds to kick off the sprints, while Jeff Ossinger ’05 pounded out eighth in the high hurdles in 8.48.

Chuck Jakobsche ’04 and Captain Mike Sheehan ’03 collected second and fifth in the 200-meter dash, making one trip around the oval in 23.28 and 23.70, respectively. Ossinger clocked 24.18 for 11th and Brian Lowe ’06 25.22 for 14th.

Earlier in the afternoon, Jakobshe had won the 400-meter dash in 51.03, with John Symanski ’06 joining him in the point-scoring department at fifth in 53.08. Lowe had punched out 53.86 for tenth.

Sheehan opened up the 600 meters to win in 1:24.62, leading George Rodriguez ’06 into third at 1:25.24. Jeff Delaney ’05 took fifth in 1:28.18, and Jamie Kingsbery ’06 ninth in 1:32.95.

In the 800 meters, Tommy Hall ’06 paced out three orbits behind MIT rabbit George Hanson before eclipsing Hanson on the second turn of the bell lap and striding to the win in 2:01.20.

Geoff O’Donoghue ’06 and Eric Engler ’04 followed up in fifth and seventh at 2:06.54 and 2:07.10, respectively.

Matt Winkler ’04 and MIT-talent Brian Anderson put on crowd-pleaser in the open mile. Anderson led the first 800 meters before Winkler took over the rail, dictating the splits for the remaining four laps. With 200 meters to go, Anderson burned around Winkler on the second turn and looked as though he would pull away for good.

“I was pretty sure he had me,” Winkler said after the race. “If he’d sat and waited a little longer before he kicked I don’t think I could have caught him again.”

As the pair tilted through the final turn, Winkler accelerated through lane two, breaking past Anderson’s shoulder with less than 50 meters remaining and overtook his opponent by a full stride-and-a-half by the time he hit the line in 4:16.39 to Anderson’s 4:16.88.

Colin Bruzewicz ’05 held on to score eighth in 4:37.87 among the hot-footed field.

Winkler returned a short time later in the 1000 meters, pushing to second in 2:36.29 to help Tim Austin ’03 glide in third at 2:36.80. Thomas Brennan ’06 raveled up seventh in 2:44.21, with Jeff Garland ’03 ninth in 2:50.05.

Neal Holtschulte ’06 hammered the 5,000 meters to nail second place in 15:18.21, the fastest indoor 5k time for the Ephs this season. Bryan Dragon ’06 worked up to fifth in 15:53.63, and Eric Daub ’04 reeled in those who fell off the early hot tempo, arriving tenth in 16:44.04.

In the final leg of the men’s distance-medley relay, Dan Austin ’05, still geared up after his performance in the 1,000, ate up a near 50-meter lead to beat RPI’s anchor with a 4:33 1,600-meter effort.

In the field, Austin won the weight throw with a 55’5.5″ mark, with J.J. O’Brien ’05 a few feet back in fifth at 45’10.5″. The men wrapped up second, third, and fifth in the shot, lining up captain Trey Wright ’03, Austin, and Caleb Bliss ’05 at 51’8.75″, 49’10.75″, and 45’3.25″, respectively. Aaron Wilson ’04 landed just out of scoring range in ninth at 42’9″.

Among the jumpers, Dean Carvalho ’04 cleared 13’9″ for second in the pole vault, Ossinger sprang for 21’6.75″ in the long jump to rake in third, and Markus Burns ’06 and Kyle McDermott ’05 arched for fifth and sixth in the high jump, sorting out at 6’1.25″ and 5’11.25″, respectively.

Matt Greenawalt ’06 and McDermott scored seventh and eighth in the triple-jump, taping 40’1″ and 39’8.25″.

Next week a slim Williams crew will bus to the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston for an invitational hosted by Northeastern University.