Men’s squash beats top U.S. high school

Coming back from a defeat to the University of Pennsylvania to quieter and safer Williamstown, the Ephs enjoyed a relaxed environment in their match against Brunswick School last Saturday afternoon.

The top ranked high school team in the country, Brunswick presented a challenge for the Ephs, who played several of their upper tier players out. Despite an intense training session the night before, Dan Bishop ’04 took a close three game victory at two. Brad Uy ’03 also took a three game victory playing at four, while Max Montgelas ’03 was able to slip by Brunswick’s talented one, Parker Sutton after Sutton retired due to an elbow injury in the fourth game.

With Brunswick taking the bottom three matches, all eyes fell upon the number three match involving Charlie Giammattei ’05. Giammattei took the first two games before dropping the third, leaving the match in the doubt. However, Giammattei kept the pace up in the fourth game and wore down his opponent into forcing shots and making mistake, winning the fourth game and clinching the victory for Williams.

“The kid was big, quick and competitive,” Giammattei said. “I felt like I was playing myself, so I had all the answers. I had to terminate him.”

Exhausted from a six and half hour trip down to Philadelphia and matched against a strong Pennsylvania squad, Men’s Squash dropped an 8-1 decision Thursday night.

The lone Eph to prevail was Co-Captain Montgelas, who handily beat Colby Emerson in three games. While the loss puts the Ephs’ record at 5-7, Head Coach Zafi Levy was pleased with the play of the team.

“We played some of our best squash of the season,” Levy said. “Penn is a very strong team, but we had a lot of close matches. With another month of training, I think we can beat them.”

The Ephs got off to a promising start very early on, when number five Todd Herlihy ’05 and number nine Chris Tom ’05 won their opening games. Herlihy, though, was unable to sustain the accurate volleys he enjoyed in the first game while Tom began to force too many cross-courts and both players fell in four games.

Ted Unger ’06, at number eight, started slow but came back strong in the second game to take the lead. Unger, though, could not close out his opponent, Eric Bardawil, in the game, dropping it 10-8, before falling in the third 9-2.

Montgelas, on the other hand, jumped out early, shutting out Emerson in the first game 9-0. Montgelas then pulled out a tight second game before coming back to dominate Emerson again in the third to secure his three game victory.

In the second round of matches, the Ephs played strong, especially at the bottom of the lineup, but could not break through against the Quakers.

At seven, Uy dropped his first two games against Drew Crockett before Uy bounced back to win a quick third game 9-2. Crockett, though, recovered to win the fourth 9-2 to take the match in four.

At six, Giammattei split his first two games with Penn’s Elan Levy. In a tightly contested third game, both Giammattei and Levy moved frantically around the court, with each making several impressive retrievals. However, Levy was able to sneak out a 9-7 victory in the crucial game and then came out strong in the fourth to win 3-1.

Bishop, playing Jacob Himmelrich at four, took the opening game before dropping the next two 9-4. Bishop took the lead in the fourth but Himmelrich rallied back to win the fourth 9-7 to clinch another 3-1 victory for the Quakers.

At the three spot, Dave Morris ’03 played well but suffered two very close defeats to Sam Miller 9-7 and 10-8 in the first two games and eventually lost in three games.

In the number one matchup, Penn’s Rich Repetto, a first team All-American last year, was too quick and strong for Co-Captain Parth Doshi ’03 and captured a three game victory.

Now ranked tenth in the latest rankings, the Ephs will host ninth ranked Brown on Friday in what should be a closely contested match through the lineup. It will also serve as the home finale for the four seniors on the team, Co-Captains Montgelas and Doshi, as well as Morris and Uy. Play begins at 5 p.m. at the Simon Squash Center.