Men’s hockey drops two, dominates St. Anselm

In a trying week of play, the men’s hockey team fell to New England and Middlebury, but managed to pull off an impressive win against St. Anselm. The team record fell to 5-10-1 (5-5-1 in the NESCAC) on the season.

In the game against New England College (NEC) last Saturday, the Ephmen suffered a 7-5 loss. The Ephmen led 5-3 at one point, but NEC scored four straight goals to close out the game.

Eph skater Chip Canner ’04 scored the first goal of the game, also his third of the season, at 1:42. NEC then evened the score at one when Adam Wallace slipped the puck into the Ephmen’s net, just barely evading the glove of goaltender Ben Fash ’04. At the end of the first period, it was all tied up.

The second period would see the two teams combine for five goals.

The first two goals were scored by NEC’s Tor Perrson and Nick Warriner. Captain Wes Fox ’03 would then tie the game back up with back-to-back scores in the period.

The first of Fox’s goals, coming at 9:30, were assisted by Jabe Bergeron ’04 and Bill Gilchrist ’03. Just two minutes later Bergeron would then send the puck Fox’s way again to even the score.

Williams then took the a 4-3 advantage at 12:05 of the second when Brian Teixeira ’04 scored his eighth of the season on assists by Jake Clapton ’05 and Steve Baldassarri ’05.

The Eph’s final goal of the contest was off the stick of Craig Wadman ’03 at 1:48 in the third period.

The Ephmen faltered down the stretch and could not protect their 5-3 lead. NEC would go on to score four more goals in the remainder of the game.

The game-winning goal for NEC came when Perrson scored his second goal of the night off a pass from Bryan Bower.

“It was obviously frustrating to have a two-goal lead and then lose in the third period,” Josh Truitt ’04 said. “It just goes to show you need to play a full 60 minutes to get the desired result.”

In the game, NEC out-shot the Ephs 30-24. The Ephmen also gave the NEC seven power play opportunities, but NEC only capitalized on one of them.

The day before the loss to NEC, the Ephmen posted a remarkable win against St. Anselm by a score of 5-1.

The Ephmen let up their only goal of the contest when Juris Drilish of St. Anselm scored at 9:27 of the first period.

The Ephmen answered back with five consecutive goals.

The Ephmen found the back of the net for the first time of the night with just under a minute to go in the first period by Teixeira. Ryan Sochacki ’04 picked up the assist on Teixeira’s seventh goal of the season.

The lone goal of the second period was also scored with under a minute remaining. Canner scored his second goal of the year on a feed from Wadman and Justin Blanch ’05.

Bergeron opened up the third period with his ninth goal of the season only 55 seconds into the period. Fox and Truitt picked up an assist on Bergeron’s goal.

The Ephs extended their lead to 4-1 when Robbie Bergan ’06 scored at 14:46 on assists from Teixeira and Baldassarri.

With an empty St. Anselm net, Clapton iced the game for the Ephmen on a goal with just 20 ticks left on the clock.

Goaltender Fash was a brick wall as he stopped 30 of the 31 shots he faced.

On Thursday afternoon, the Ephmen suffered a 4-3 loss to Middlebury (12-3, 10-1 in the NESCAC) in a crucial conference match-up.

Middlebury started strong and built a 2-0 lead by the mid-point of the first period. Panthers J.F. Duchesne and Tim Schneider each scored a goal apiece.

Clapton got the Ephmen on the scoreboard at 15:52 in the first period. Teixeira assisted Clapton on the goal.

The Panthers and the Ephmen both scored two goals in the second period.

The Ephmen scored their second goal of the game when Fox assisted Teixeira at 3:45. Baldassarri then scored at the 13:47 mark, which capped off the Ephmen’s scoring for the day.

The Panthers took 30 shots on goal, while the Ephmen only managed 19.

Although the Ephmen left the rink with a loss, the game was an encouraging performance for the players and coaching staff.

The team showed heart in that the Ephmen refused to recoil after being scored on early in the game.

“It was disappointing to be down two goals early, but to our credit we battled back,” said Head Coach Bill Kangas. “It was probably one our best games of the year.”

“All the pieces are in place now, we just need to get a couple of wins to qualify for the playoffs. We’re looking to peak right around playoff time because we’ve got to really push hard to make the playoffs,” Truitt said. “Once you’re in the playoffs, anything can happen. We need to come out with the kind of intensity like we’re playing the best team every game.”

Williams can relax for the next few days before they host Babson this Friday. Game time is set for 7 p.m.