Ski team takes fifth at SLU

The Williams College ski team found itself with a fifth place finish at its first carnival of the 2003 season, which concluded Sunday at St. Lawrence University.

Williams, which was 28 points behind fourth place Middlebury after action closed on Saturday, was shut out of fourth by 55 points.

The University of Vermont took home first place with 628 points.

The men’s slalom squad shredded to a fifth place finish while its female counterpart came in at sixth.

Adelaide Robinson ’05 was the top finisher among Ephwomen alpine skiers, coming in 15th place at 1:33.49.

Robinson’s finish was an improvement over her Saturday effort by over 11 seconds, but in fact it earned her a lower overall finish than the 13th she reached previously.

On the men’s side, Mark Heinrich-Wallace ’04 improved to a fourth place finish from the fifth he posted Saturday.

Heinrich-Wallace came in at 1:32.81, three seconds off his 1:29.27 pace from the day before.

The Williams women came in at second in the 5K free technique again Sunday, remaining behind the University of New Hampshire (UNH), which placed first both days.

In fact, Williams earned the same amount of points as UNH, 86, but UNH was listed as the top finisher per its 88-84 victory yesterday over the Ephs.

Melody Scheefer ’03 placed atop the field for the second consecutive day and a 37:03.9 total time.

Meanwhile the men’s 10K free technique team garnered 53 points en route to a sixth place finish.

Saturday’s leader, Middlebury, fell to third place behind the winning UNH squad.

The Cross Country women tied for first as Scheefer became the first Williams cross country athlete to win a carnival race in recent memory.

She was followed by Elise Henson ’06 in 3rd in the pursuit on Sunday. Gillian Sowden ’06 was the third scorer in 12th with Jenny Abraham ’05 close behind in 14th.

All in all, it was an impressive performance by the women’s team.

Plaguing the Ephs was nausea which forced many underclassmen to ski in place of their ill senior and junior teammates.

Williams will head north to Bates for its next carnival, beginning Jan. 25.