Men and women’s swim & dive both beat Bowdoin

The women’s swim team had little trouble getting past Bowdoin in Saturday’s home meet. The Ephwomen won most of the events, resulting in a final score of Williams 160, Bowdoin, 117. Because Williams took such a commanding early lead, they stopped scoring Williams points early in the meet, decreasing the point margin between the two teams.

“We all got to swim a variety of events, events that we wouldn’t normally swim,” Chrissy Milkowsky ’04 said. “This keeps the excitement up.”

Head Coach Steve Kuster was looking for continued improvement from the Ephs. “Regardless of who we’re swimming, we as a team have talked about trying to get things better and better,” Kuster said. “Given that, there were a lot of things that were better this week. We have three more meets to continue working on things.”

The women were tired yesterday, as they just came off of a tough week of training. “We were coming off of a difficult week of practice,” Julie Allen ’04, who just returned from abroad, said. “But even so, we managed to pull off some good times.”

Lauren Edmondson ’06 credits the team success to the spirit of the team. “We have a really good time together – training, competing, etc.,” Edmondson said. “That’s what makes this team great and that motivates us to keep our winning streak going.”

Quite a few Ephs posted lifetime best times at the meet. Mary Stranghoener ’05, who typically swims butterfly, finished her 100 breaststroke in 1:08, placing first and nearing a NCAA national qualifying time. Allen took first place in the 100 free (57.0) and second in the 50 free.

Kuster was particularly proud of the first-year swimmers. “First-year swimmers in particular had some good swims,” he said.

Edmondson won the 1,000 free (11:15.60) and was followed by teammate Melanie Hobart ’06 (11:42.03). The first-years also took first and second in the 200 freestyle. Meghan Faughnan ’06 placed first (1:59.86) and Tricia Chambers ’06 came in second (2:00.46). Elizabeth Adams ’06 and Louise Kushner ’06 placed first and second in the 200 butterfly. This group of first-years obviously adds depth and talent to an already strong team.

This meet was particularly successful for the women divers, who took the first five places on both the 1-meter and 3-meter. Caroline Crocker ’03 won both events and qualified for nationals on each board.

This was the 99th consecutive dual meet victory for the women, who will take on Springfield next week at home.

Men bounce back and beat Bowdoin

After a disappointing loss to Amherst last weekend, the men’s swim team rebounded to beat Bowdoin this weekend. The final score was Williams 151, Bowdoin 118. Similar to the women, Williams took an early lead and the officials suspended scoring for the rest of the meet.

The more relaxed meet against Bowdoin gave the men some flexibility to swim different events. Even so, a lot of in-season and lifetime bests were posted.

Coach Kuster was happy with the men’s performance. “In general, we had some good swims,” said Kuster.

Bryan Welsh ’05 made his debut in the 1,000 free and easily beat the lone Bowdoin swimmer. Motivated by the support of his teammates, Welsh posted a time of 10:25.76.

“I’ve never swum the 1,000 free,” said Welsh. “It was really cool having everyone the sidelines cheering for me.” Welsh also finished second in the both the 200 individual medley and the 200 breast. Chris Vollmond-Carstens ’04 won two events – the 200 IM (2:03.65) and the 200 breast (2:19.6). The men swept several events, including the 100 fly and the 100 free.

As with the first-year women swimmers, Kuster was especially pleased with the performances of the first-year men. Will Cunningham ’06 won two events for the Ephs – the 500 free (4:57.77) and the 100 backstroke (54.46). Brian Carey ’06 won the 200 backstroke (2:02.39). Aaron Marshall ’06 won the 200 free (1:51.88) and finished 3rd in the 100 free (51.14).

The Ephmen won all of Saturday’s relays. The young medley relay of Alex Lawton ’05, Rob Tertaglione ’05, Brad Brecher ’06 and Oliver Burton ’06 out-swam the Bowdoin team to win. The Ephs had no trouble in the 200 freestyle relay.

The men, particularly the first-years, are improving in the diving events. “The guys rebounded well after last week’s meet,” Chris Abbott ’03 said. “The first-year divers are gaining confidence on both boards.”

Elliot Crafton ’06 placed second on both boards, and Abbott followed, finishing 3rd also both.

After the Amherst meet, the men were ready to get back in the water and train hard. While they are tired and broken- down, the men have started to look ahead towards NESCACs, training in hopes of recapturing the title.

The men will swim against Springfield at home next weekend.